Table of contents:
Cefzil (Cefprozil) is a prescription antibiotic medication used to treat bacterial infections. It belongs to the cephalosporin class of drugs. It works in a similar way by attacking bacteria and stopping them from multiplying.
Cefprozil is indicated for the treatment of infections caused by susceptible strains of the designated organisms in the conditions listed below. These include acute otitis media, acute sinusitis, pharyngitis and tonsillitis, and skin infections.
Cefzil is a second-generation cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. It is available in tablet form, with the usual dosage being 250mg every 8 to 12 hours.
Uses and Dosage
Cefzil comes in the form of a tablet to be taken by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once or twice daily. You may take this medicine with food if stomach upset occurs. The dosage of Cefzil is based on your medical condition and response to therapy. In the case of children, the dosage is also based on their weight.
Follow your doctor's instructions for proper dosing and administration. If you are uncertain about the dosage or have any questions or concerns, it is always best to consult with your doctor or pharmacist.
- The recommended dosage for bronchitis in adults and teenagers is 500 milligrams (mg) every 12 hours, taken for 10 days. For children younger than 13 years of age, the dosage must be determined by a doctor.
- The recommended dosage for ear infections in children 6 months to 12 years of age is 15 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight every 12 hours, taken for 10 days. For infants younger than 6 months of age, the dosage must be determined by a doctor.
- The recommended dosage for sinusitis in adults and teenagers is 250 or 500 milligrams (mg) every 12 hours, taken for 10 days. For children 6 months to 12 years of age, the dose is based on body weight and must be determined by a doctor. The dose is usually 7.5 to 15 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight every 12 hours, taken for 10 days. For infants younger than 6 months of age, the dosage must be determined by a doctor.
- The recommended dosage for skin infections in adults and teenagers is 250 to 500 milligrams (mg) every 12 hours or 500 mg once a day, taken for 10 days. For children 2 to 12 years of age, the dose is based on body weight and must be determined by a doctor. The dose is usually 20 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight per day, taken for 10 days. For children younger than 2 years of age, the dosage must be determined by a doctor.
- The recommended dose for sore throat and tonsillitis in adults and teenagers is 500 milligrams (mg) once a day for 10 days. For children ages 2 to 12, the recommended dose is 7.5 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight every 12 hours for 10 days. For children younger than 2 years of age, the dose must be determined by a doctor.
Serious Side Effects of Cefprozil
- A seizure
- Dark colored urine
- Easy bruising
- Unusual bleeding
- Feeling tired or short of breath
- Sore throat
- Mouth sores
- Kidney problems
- Little or no urination
- Pale or yellowed skin
- Swelling in your feet or ankles
Common Side Effects of Cefprozil Include:
Form and Strength
Cefzil (Cefprozil) is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 250 mg
- 500 mg
- If you have or have ever had gastrointestinal disease (GI) affecting the stomach or intestines, let your doctor know, especially if you have or have ever had colitis (a condition which causes swelling in the lining of the colon or large intestine) or kidney disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding. If you become pregnant while taking cefprozi, call your doctor right away to discuss the potential risks and benefits of continuing to take the medication.
- People with PKU must follow a special diet that restricts phenylalanine intake to prevent damage to the brain that can cause severe intellectual disability.
- Prescribing CEFZIL (cefprozil) in the absence of proven or strongly suspected bacterial infection or a prophylactic indication is unlikely to provide benefit to the patient and increases the risk of the development of drug-resistant bacteria.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to this medicine or any other medicines. Let your healthcare professional know if you have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does Cefzil interact with other medications?
Yes, Cefzil (Cefprozil) may interact with other medications. You should always tell your doctor about any other medications you are taking, including vitamins and herbal supplements, before starting Cefzil..
Can I take Cefzil with food?
Yes, Cefzil can be taken with or without food.
How long does it take for Cefzil to work?
Cefzil usually starts to work within 24 hours, but it may take several days to fully treat the infection.
How should I store Cefzil?
Cefzil should be stored at room temperature, away from moisture and heat. Keep this medication out of reach of children and pets.
It's important to purchase Cefzil from verified Canadian pharmacy.