Table of contents:
Pancrease MT 4 is a prescription medication used to treat conditions where the pancreas is unable to produce or release enough digestive enzymes to break down food in the small intestines.
It contains the active ingredient pancrelipase. It belongs to the class of medications known as enzymes or digestants. The primary three enzyme groups that make up pancrelipase are lipases, proteases, and amylases. The combination of enzymes is normally produced by the pancreas to help the body digest fat, protein, and sugars.
Use and Dosage
Pancrease MT 4 is available in a capsule form to be taken orally with meals and snacks as per your doctor's instructions. You should swallow the capsule whole and avoid crushing or chewing it, as doing so can damage your mouth and alter the medication's effectiveness.
If swallowing the capsule whole is challenging, you may open it and mix the contents in some non-acidic liquid or soft food that does not need chewing, such as room-temperature applesauce. However, avoid mixing Pancrease MT 4 with alkaline foods or liquids like milk, ice cream, or tea. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist to know about the right foods and liquids that you should avoid when mixing the medication.
Make sure you swallow the food or liquid right away without chewing the medication. Take a glass of water or juice after swallowing to ensure that you have entirely ingested the medication mixture. Don't save the medication mixture for later use.
The dosage of Pancrease MT 4 that you should take depends on several factors, including your weight, medical condition, diet, and response to treatment. Do not take more capsules than prescribed by your healthcare provider. Taking a greater amount of medication will not improve your condition faster but will increase the likelihood of side effects.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Pancrease MT 4 (Pancrealipase):
- Sore throat and cough
Serious Side Effects of Pancrease MT 4 (Pancrealipase):
- Abdominal cramps
- Abdominal pain
- Cold sweat
- Cool pale skin
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive eating
- Fast heartbeat
- Frequent urination
- Fruity breath odor
- Increased thirst
- Irritation around the anal area
- Joint pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Poor wound healing
- Swelling of the face and throat
- Unexplained weight loss
- Warmth of joints
Forms and Strength
Pancrease MT 4 (Pancrealipase) is available in the following forms and strength:
Pancrease MT 4: Capsule
- Pancrease MT 4 may interact with other prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products. Keep a list of all the products you use and inform your healthcare provider before taking Pancrease MT 4.
- Pancreatic enzyme products should not be used by individuals with a known hypersensitivity to pork products.
- Before taking Pancrease MT 4, inform your healthcare provider if you have any medical history of gout, high uric acid levels, or kidney disease.
- Pancrease MT 4 may cause side effects such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, and nausea. If these symptoms persist or worsen, consult with your healthcare provider.
- Pancrelipase may increase the risk of developing fibrosing colonopathy, a rare but serious condition that affects the large intestine. Consult your healthcare provider if you experience severe/ongoing abdominal pain, bloating, or changes in bowel movements.
- The safety and efficacy of Pancrease MT 4 in pediatric patients have not been established.
- Pancrelipase may increase blood uric acid levels, which may worsen gout symptoms.
- Pancreatic enzyme products should be used with caution in patients with a history of hyperuricemia (elevated levels of uric acid in the blood) or urate nephrolithiasis (kidney stones caused by uric acid).
- Pancreatic enzyme products may cause irritation of the mouth, throat, and nose if the capsule is opened or crushed. This can lead to respiratory symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, and shortness of breath in sensitive patients.
- In some patients, pancreatic enzyme products can cause a condition known as hyperuricosuria (increased uric acid excretion in the urine), which can lead to the formation of kidney stones.
- Pancrelipase should be used with caution in patients with a history of gastrointestinal obstruction or stricture (narrowing of the digestive tract), as this can increase the risk of bowel obstruction.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Pancrease MT 4 used for?
Pancrease MT 4 is used to treat conditions where the pancreas is unable to produce or release enough digestive enzymes to break down food in the small intestines.
How should I take Pancrease MT 4?
Pancrease MT 4 should be taken as directed by your healthcare provider, usually with meals and snacks. The capsule should be swallowed whole and not crushed or chewed.
Can Pancrease MT 4 be used in pediatric patients?
The safety and efficacy of Pancrease MT 4 in pediatric patients have not been established.
It's important to purchase Pancrease MT 4 from verified Canadian pharmacy.