Table of contents:
Nolvadex, also known as Tamoxifen Citrate, is an anti-estrogen drug indicated for the treatment of breast cancer. It can be used in the treatment of hormone receptor-positive breast cancer in both premenopausal and postmenopausal women. Tamoxifen is a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM) drug that binds to estrogen receptors in breast cells. It works by blocking the effects of estrogen, which can help prevent tumors from growing and spreading.
Nolvadex is usually taken orally but can also be administered intravenously depending on the severity of the cancer. It has been used by medical professionals for decades to help reduce the growth and spread of certain types of cancers. As well as being a valuable tool in treating breast cancer, Nolvadex has also found use among bodybuilders and athletes who are attempting to minimize the effects of estrogen during anabolic steroid use.
Uses and Dosage
Tamoxifen is administered orally in the form of a tablet, usually taken once or twice a day, with or without food, at the same time(s) every day. Carefully follow the directions on the prescription label and ask your doctor or pharmacist for clarification on any instructions that are unclear. Tamoxifen should be taken exactly as directed, without taking more or less than prescribed or taking it more frequently than prescribed by your doctor.
The recommended dosage of Tamoxifen varies depending on the condition being treated. For the treatment of metastatic breast cancer in women and men, a dose of 20 to 40 mg orally daily for 5 years is recommended, but doses greater than 20 mg should be given in divided doses.
Common Side Effects of Nolvadex (Tamoxifen):
- Erectile dysfunction
- Irregular or loss of menstrual periods
- Leg swelling
- Menopause-like symptoms, including hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal dryness
- Skin rash
- Vaginal discharge
- Weight gain (more common) or fluid retention (edema)
Serious Side Effects of Nolvadex (Tamoxifen):
Form and strength
Nolvadex (Tamoxifen) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to tamoxifen or any other medications before taking Tamoxifen. This is because Tamoxifen may contain inactive ingredients that can cause an allergic reaction or interact with other medications you are taking.
- When taking tamoxifen, inform your doctor if you currently have high cholesterol or have had high cholesterol in the past.
- Tamoxifen can cause side effects, although this is not a complete list of side effects.
- Inform your doctor if you are currently breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed while taking tamoxifen since the medication can pass into breast milk and potentially harm a nursing baby. Your doctor may advise you to stop breastfeeding or switch to a different medication for your treatment with tamoxifen.
- Caution should be exercised when using tamoxifen with other medications, as this may decrease its effectiveness.
- You should discuss with your doctor how frequently you should conduct a self-examination of your breasts, get examined by a medical professional, and undergo mammogram screenings. If you notice a new lump in your breast, be sure to contact your doctor immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long should you take tamoxifen?
Most people take tamoxifen or other hormone therapy for at least five years and sometimes, up to 10 years. Treatment length depends on the specifics of your cancer diagnosis.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Can tamoxifen interact with other medications?
Yes, tamoxifen can interact with a variety of other medications, including certain antidepressants and blood thinners.
How does tamoxifen work?
Tamoxifen works by blocking the effects of estrogen on breast tissue, which can help slow the growth and spread of breast cancer.
It's important to purchase Nolvadex from verified Canadian pharmacy.