Table of contents:
The BD AutoShield Duo pen needle is a safety pen needle that is designed to facilitate safe insulin injections. It features automatic dual-protection shields on both ends of the needle to help prevent needlestick exposure and injury during injection and disposal.
The pen needle is designed to facilitate safe and convenient insulin injections. It does not require an additional step to cover the needle after injection, as the shields automatically activate. The pen needle comes in a 5-mm size. This length is designed to reduce the risk of intramuscular injections and does not require a pinch-up technique, potentially reducing the risk of needlestick injury.
The BD AutoShield Duo pen needle is equipped with patented automatic dual-protection shields. These shields automatically cover the needle after injection, reducing the risk of accidental needlestick injuries during disposal.
Use and Dosage
To use the BD AutoShield Duo pen needle, please follow these steps:
- Prepare your insulin pen: Attach the pen needle securely to your insulin pen according to the manufacturer's instructions. Make sure it is firmly attached.
- Prime the pen: If necessary, prime your insulin pen as per the instructions provided with your specific pen.
- Choose the injection site: Select a suitable injection site on your body, following your healthcare provider's recommendations. Clean the area with an alcohol swab and allow it to dry.
- Remove the pen needle cap: Remove the outer shield cap from the pen needle. Make sure to hold the pen needle by the outer shield to avoid accidental needlestick injuries.
- Inject the insulin: Insert the pen needle into your skin at a 90-degree angle or as recommended by your healthcare provider. Inject the insulin dose as instructed by your healthcare provider. Press the plunger of the insulin pen fully to deliver the dose.
- Activate the shields: After injecting the insulin, the automatic dual-protection shields will activate. The front shield will click to confirm that the needle has penetrated the skin. The shields will cover the needle completely, reducing the risk.
Once the shields are activated, carefully remove the pen needle from your skin. Place the used pen needle in a sharps container or an appropriate puncture-resistant container for safe disposal, following local regulations and guidelines.
Forms and Strength
Needle BD Duo Autoshield Pen Needle (Needle - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Needle BD Duo Autoshield Pen Needle: Pen Needle
- 30G - 5mm
- After use, the used pen needle should be carefully removed from the insulin pen and placed in a sharps container or puncture-resistant container for safe disposal. Follow local regulations and guidelines for proper disposal of medical sharps.
- The BD AutoShield Duo pen needle is designed for single-use only. Reusing the needle increases the risk of contamination and needlestick injuries.
- The BD AutoShield Duo pen needle itself does not have any known drug interactions. However, consider any potential drug interactions related to the medication you are injecting using the pen needle.
- The pen needles should be stored in a clean and dry place, away from extreme temperatures and direct sunlight. Follow the storage instructions provided with the product to ensure the pen needles remain in optimal condition.
- When traveling, carry your insulin pen and pen needles in your carry-on luggage when flying. Have a doctor's note or prescription with you to avoid any issues at security checkpoints. Ensure compliance with the transportation regulations of your specific destination.
- While the BD AutoShield Duo pen needles are compatible with most major insulin pens, check the compatibility with your specific insulin pen. Consult the manufacturer's instructions or contact their customer support for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can the BD AutoShield Duo pen needle be reused?
No, the BD AutoShield Duo pen needle is designed for single-use only.
Are the BD AutoShield Duo pen needles available in different sizes?
Yes, the BD AutoShield Duo pen needles are available in assorted sizes to accommodate various injection needs. The sizes typically refer to the needle length and gauge. Consult with your healthcare provider or pharmacist to determine the appropriate pen needle size for you.
Are there any special storage requirements for the BD AutoShield Duo pen needles?
The BD AutoShield Duo pen needles should be stored in a clean and dry place, away from extreme temperatures and direct sunlight.
Can I travel with the BD AutoShield Duo pen needles?
Yes, you can travel with the BD AutoShield Duo pen needles. Carry your insulin pen and pen needles in your carry-on luggage when flying, and to have a doctor's note or prescription with you to avoid any issues at security checkpoints. Ensure you comply with the transportation regulations of your specific destination.
It's important to purchase Needle BD Duo Autoshield Pen Needle from verified Canadian pharmacy.