Table of contents:
Natazia is primarily used to prevent pregnancy but can also be used for the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding that is not caused by organic pathology. Natazia is a combination of two hormones, estradiol valerate (an estrogen) and dienogest (a progestin), that work together to prevent pregnancy. It works by suppressing ovulation (the release of an egg from the ovary) and by thinning the lining of the uterus, making it less likely for a fertilized egg to implant.
Natazia is a four-phasic contraceptive that contains varying levels of estrogen and progestin throughout the menstrual cycle. It may help regulate menstrual cycles, reduce the amount of menstrual bleeding, and alleviate symptoms associated with premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
Uses and Dosage
Natazia comes in the form of tablets to take by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once daily. Pick a time of day that is easy for you to remember and take your pill at the same time each day. You can choose to take Natazia during or after your evening meal to alleviate any stomach upset or nausea. Also, make sure to take the pills in the correct order as indicated in the package instructions.
Do not skip any doses or take your pill 12 hours later than usual, as this may increase the likelihood of pregnancy or other side effects. If this is your first-time using Natazia and you are not currently using another form of hormonal birth control, start taking it on the first day of your period. To ensure effectiveness during the first cycle of use, use an additional form of non-hormonal birth control, such as condoms or spermicide, for the first 9 days.
Common Side Effects of Natazia (estradiol valerate/ dienogest):
- Breast pain, discomfort, or tenderness
- Irregular vaginal bleeding
- Mood changes
- Nausea or vomiting
- Weight gain
Serious Side Effects of Natazia (estradiol valerate/ dienogest):
- Chest pain
- Fluid build up
- Leg cramp
- Muscle tightness
- Racing heart
- Stomach pain
- Trouble breathing
- Vaginal yeast infection
- Yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes
Form and Strength
Natazia (estradiol valerate/ dienogest) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Certain medications can make Natazia get broken down faster in your body, which can make Natazia work less well and lead to pregnancy.
- If you have a history of chloasma, avoid exposure to the sun or UV light while taking cocs like Natazia (estradiol valerate / dienogest).
- If you have certain conditions, such as hereditary angioedema or chloasma (a skin condition that causes brown patches on the face), talk to your healthcare provider before taking Natazia because it might worsen your symptoms.
- If you smoke cigarettes, using combined oral contraceptives (cocs), like Natazia, raises your risk for serious health problems, such as strokes, heart attacks, and blood clots. Females aged 35 years and older who smoke are at even higher risk for these problems. If you smoke, talk with your provider about safer birth control alternatives.
- Let your provider know if you experience symptoms of depression or worsening depression while taking Natazia. In cases of serious depression, your provider might have you stop taking it.
- Natazia and other cocs can raise your blood pressure. Your provider might ask you to check your blood pressure regularly. If you notice your blood pressure is higher while you are taking this medication, contact your provider. If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, Natazia might not be the best option for you.
- Natazia can raise your risk for breast and cervical cancer. Don't use Natazia if you have breast cancer because some types of breast cancer grow faster in the presence of estrogen.
- Natazia can cause liver problems, such as liver damage and liver tumors. These problems are linked more with earlier formulations of COCs that contained higher levels of estrogen (50 mcg or higher).
- Natazia might raise your blood sugar and triglyceride (fat) levels. If you have diabetes, let your provider know if you experience any changes in your blood sugar. A rise in triglycerides can lead to serious conditions like inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
- Natazia raises your risk of blood clots. These clots can occur anywhere in your body, including your lungs (pulmonary embolism or PE), legs (deep vein thrombosis or DVT), brain (stroke), and heart (heart attack).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Natazia be used to treat heavy menstrual bleeding?
Yes, Natazia can be used to treat heavy menstrual bleeding in women who choose to use an oral contraceptive for birth control.
How effective is Natazia in preventing pregnancy?
When used properly, Natazia has a 99% efficacy rate in preventing pregnancy.
How quickly does Natazia start working to prevent pregnancy?
Natazia starts working immediately if taken on the first day of your menstrual period. If taken at any other time, use a backup method of birth control for the first 7 days.
Can Natazia cause weight gain?
Weight gain is a potential side effect of Natazia, but it is not guaranteed to happen for everyone. Talk to your healthcare provider if you have any concerns about weight gain while taking Natazia.
It's important to purchase Natazia from verified Canadian pharmacy.