Table of contents:
Mavik is a prescription medication used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension), congestive heart failure or left ventricular dysfunction. It contains the active ingredient trandolapril, which is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. Trandolapril works by relaxing blood vessels, which helps to lower blood pressure and improve blood flow.
Mavik can be used to reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, or death in people with heart failure. As with any medication, use Mavik as directed by a healthcare professional and follow all instructions on the prescription label.
Use and Dosage
Mavik (Trandolapril) is available in the form of capsules and is taken orally with or without food, usually once or twice daily, as directed by your doctor. To minimize the risk of side effects, your doctor may advise you to start taking the Mavik capsule at a low dose and gradually increase it over time. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully.
The recommended dosage of Mavik (Trandolapril) varies based on medical conditions and patient factors, such as race. However, the usual initial dosage of Mavik for patients not receiving a diuretic is 1 mg once daily for non-African-American patients and 2 mg once daily for African-American patients. The maintenance dose is typically 2 to 4 mg orally once a day, as directed by a healthcare provider. However, the dosage may need to be adjusted for patients with renal or hepatic impairment.
To get the most benefit from Mavik capsule, take it regularly at the same time(s) each day. Even if you don't feel sick, continue taking this medication as prescribed. It may take up to one week for the drug to work effectively in controlling high blood pressure, and several weeks to several months for the treatment of heart failure.
If you don't see an improvement in your condition or if it worsens, such as if your blood pressure readings remain elevated or increase, inform your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Mavik (Trandolapril):
Serious Side Effects of Mavik (Trandolapril):
- Chest pain
- Cough with foamy mucus
- Difficulty breathing
- Fluttering in your chest
- Gasping for breath
- Irregular heartbeats
- Little or no movement
- Loss of movements
- Mouth sores
- Pale skin
- Pounding heartbeats
- Severe shortness of breath
- Shortness of breath
- Skin sores
- Swelling in your feet or ankles
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
- Tingly feeling
- Trouble breathing
- Upper stomach pain
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
Forms and Strength
Mavik (Trandolapril) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 0.5 mg
- 1 mg
- 2 mg
- 0.5 mg
- 1 mg
- 2 mg
- 4 mg
- Do not take Mavik if you are allergic to trandolapril or any other ACE inhibitor.
- Make sure to inform your healthcare provider of any medical conditions you might have, especially kidney disease, liver disease, or heart disease.
- Mavik can cause serious harm to an unborn baby if taken during pregnancy. Inform your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Mavik can interact with other medications, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), potassium supplements, and diuretics. Be sure to inform your healthcare provider of all medications you are taking or plan to take, including over-the-counter medications and supplements.
- Mavik can cause potentially serious side effects such as low blood pressure, high potassium levels, and kidney problems. Report any symptoms or side effects to your healthcare provider right away.
- Mavik should be used with caution in elderly patients, as they may be more susceptible to side effects.
- Mavik can cause dizziness or fainting, especially during the first few days of treatment or when the dosage is increased. You should avoid driving or performing other activities that require alertness until you know how Mavik affects you.
- Mavik can cause a persistent cough, which may go away after you stop taking the medication. Inform your healthcare provider if you experience this side effect.
- Mavik can cause an allergic reaction in some people, which can result in symptoms such as difficulty breathing, swelling of the face or throat, and hives. Seek medical attention immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
- Mavik should not be taken with alcohol as it may increase the risk of side effects such as low blood pressure.
- Mavik may interact with certain foods or supplements, especially those containing elevated levels of potassium. Discuss your diet with your healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I drink alcohol while taking Mavik?
No, you should not take Mavik with alcohol as it may increase the risk of side effects such as low blood pressure.
Can I take Mavik if I am pregnant?
No, Mavik should not be taken during pregnancy as it can cause serious harm to an unborn baby. Inform your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
Is Mavik available in generic form?
Yes, trandolapril is available in generic form.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Mavik?
If you miss a dose of Mavik, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How long does it take for Mavik to start working?
It may take several weeks for Mavik to take full effect. Continue taking the medication as directed, even if you feel well.
How should I store Mavik?
Mavik should be stored at room temperature, away from light and moisture. Keep the medication out of reach of children.
It's important to purchase Mavik from verified Canadian pharmacy.