Table of contents:
Marvelon 21-day is a type of combined hormonal contraceptive pill that is taken orally for 21 days, followed by a 7-day break, during which no pills are taken. It may also be taken to regulate the menstrual cycle.
Each pill contains two hormones, desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol, which work together to prevent pregnancy by stopping ovulation and thickening the cervical mucus to prevent sperm from reaching the egg.
Use and Dosage
Marvelon 21-day comes in the form of tablet to take it orally once a day for 21 days at the same time for each day and the 7 days break. Do not chew or alter the form of Marvelon 21-day tablets. Chewing or altering the form of the tablet may affect its effectiveness and can also cause side effects. Take the pill as directed by your healthcare provider and read and follow the instructions that come with the medication.
To use Marvelon 21-day, take one tablet daily for 21 days, followed by a 7-day break when you take no pills. Take the pill at the same time every day to maintain its effectiveness. If you start taking Marvelon 21-day on the first day of your period, you are protected from pregnancy right away. If you start taking Marvelon 21-day at any other time, use a backup method of contraception like condoms for the first 7 days.
If you miss one pill, you should take it as soon as you remember and take the next pill at the usual time. If you miss two or more pills, use a backup method of contraception, and consult your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Marvelon 21-day (Desogestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol):
- Abdominal cramping or bloating
- Back pain
- Breast pain, tenderness, or swelling
- General feeling of being unwell
- Painful menstrual cramps
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Weight gain or loss
Serious Side Effects of Marvelon 21-day (Desogestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol):
- Abdominal cramps
- Breakthrough bleeding or spotting between periods
- Breast lumps (for women with a history of breast disease)
- Changes in sleep
- Changes in weight
- Chest pain or pressure
- Complete stop of menstrual bleeding for several months in a row
- Coughing up blood, sweating, or passing out
- Dark urine
- Decreased bleeding during periods
- Decreased interest in activities
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive eating
- Flu-like symptoms (sudden lack of energy, fever, cough, sore throat)
- Frequent urination
- Fruity breath odor
- Increased blood pressure
- Increased thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Low back or flank pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain when urinating
- Pale stools
- Poor concentration
- Poor wound healing
- Prolonged bleeding during periods
- Sharp chest pain that is worse when breathing in
- Sudden loss of coordination
- Sudden or severe headache
- Sudden slurring of speech
- Swelling of the face and throat
- Tenderness in upper abdominal area
- Tenderness, pain, or swelling
- Thoughts of suicide
- Unexplained weakness, numbness, or pain in arm or leg
- Unexplained weight loss
- Unusual swelling of the extremities
- Urinating more often than usual
- Vaginal infection with vaginal itching or irritation, or thick, white, or curd-like discharge
- Vision changes
- Warmth or redness in the arm or leg
- Weight loss
- Yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes
Forms and Strength
Marvelon 21-day (Desogestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol) is available in the following forms and strength:
Marvelon 21-day: Tablet
Desogestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol: Tablet
- Increased risk of blood clots: There is a higher risk of blood clots, especially in women who smoke or have a history of blood clots.
- Hormonal disorders: Women with hormonal disorders should be cautious while using Marvelon 21-day.
- Liver disease: Marvelon 21-day should be used with caution in women with liver disease.
- Breast cancer: Women with a history of breast cancer should use Marvelon 21-day with caution.
- Interactions with other medications: Marvelon 21-day may interact with certain medications, inform your healthcare provider of any other medications you are taking before starting to take Marvelon 21-day.
- Side effects: Like all medications, Marvelon 21-day may cause side effects. If you experience any unusual symptoms or side effects, contact your healthcare provider.
- Pregnancy: Marvelon 21-day should not be taken during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
- Age: Marvelon 21-day may not be appropriate for women over a certain age or who have certain medical conditions.
- Blood pressure: Women with high blood pressure should be cautious while using Marvelon 21-day.
- Migraines: Women who experience migraines with aura (visual disturbances) should use caution while taking Marvelon 21-day.
- Gallbladder disease: Marvelon 21-day should be used with caution in women with a history of gallbladder disease.
- Diabetes: Marvelon 21-day may affect blood sugar levels, so women with diabetes should use caution while taking the medication.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Marvelon 21-day effective at preventing pregnancy?
When taken correctly, Marvelon 21-day is highly effective at preventing pregnancy with a failure rate of less than 1% per year of use.
Can Marvelon 21-day be used for other medical conditions?
While Marvelon 21-day is primarily used for contraception, it may also be used for other medical conditions, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or endometriosis.
Can Marvelon 21-day cause weight gain?
Some women may experience weight gain as a side effect of Marvelon 21-day, but this is not a universal side effect and may not occur for everyone.
How long does it take for Marvelon 21-day to start working?
If you start taking Marvelon 21-day on the first day of your period, you are protected from pregnancy right away. If you start taking Marvelon 21-day at any other time, you should use a backup method of contraception for the first 7 days.
It's important to purchase Marvelon 21 day from verified Canadian pharmacy.