Table of contents:
Lexapro ODT is an orally disintegrating tablet of the antidepressant medication Escitalopram, which is used to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).
Escitalopram belongs to a group of antidepressants known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It works by increasing the levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain to improve mood and reduce anxiety.
Use and Dosage
Escitalopram comes in the form of Orally Dissolving Tablet should be placed on the tongue and let it dissolve. It will rapidly disintegrate and can be swallowed without water. You can take Lexapro ODT with or without food. The tablets break easily, so they should be handled carefully with dry hands. Do not swallow the tablet whole or chew it.
Take Lexapro ODT exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not adjust your dosage or stop taking the medication without consulting your doctor first.
Take Escitalopram tablet exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, skip it, and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Lexapro ODT (Escitalopram):
- Changes in heart rate
- Congested or runny nose
- Decreased libido (sex drive)
- Difficulty sleeping
- Dry mouth
- Erectile dysfunction (difficulty getting or keeping an erection)
- Inability to have an orgasm
- Increased sweating
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle or joint pain
- Sexual dysfunction including
- Stomach pain
- Stomach upset
Serious Side Effects of Lexapro ODT (Escitalopram):
- Abdominal pain
- Blurred vision
- Bruising or unusual bleeding from the skin or other areas
- Clay-colored stools
- Dark urine
- Difficulty controlling blood sugar levels
- Eye pain
- Feeling of skin prickling
- Inability to urinate
- Increased pressure in the eye
- Involuntary movements of the body or face
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood sodium (confusion, seizures, drowsiness, dryness of mouth, increased thirst, lack of energy)
- Mania (overactive behavior and thoughts)
- Nausea and vomiting
- New or worsening emotional symptoms
- Severe agitation or restlessness
- Yellow skin or eyes
Forms and Strength
Lexapro ODT (Escitalopram) is available in the following forms and strength:
Escitalopram: Orally Dissolving Tablet
- 20 mg
- Taking Lexapro during pregnancy or while breastfeeding may increase the risk of certain side effects in the infant.
- Escitalopram may cause suicidal thoughts or behaviors in some people, especially in children, teens, and young adults.
- Lexapro can interact with other medications, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and herbal supplements.
- You may experience withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it suddenly, so it is recommended to gradually reduce the dose under a doctor's supervision.
- Lexapro may cause drowsiness or dizziness, which may impair your ability to operate machinery or drive.
- Escitalopram may increase the risk of bleeding, especially in combination with other medications that also increase the risk of bleeding, such as blood thinners, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and aspirin.
- Lexapro may cause changes in your blood pressure, so people with a history of high blood pressure or low blood pressure should use it with caution.
- Escitalopram may cause hyponatremia, which is low levels of sodium in the blood, especially in elderly patients or those taking diuretics or with liver cirrhosis or heart failure.
- Escitalopram may increase the risk of bone fractures, especially in elderly patients or those with a history of fractures or osteoporosis.
- Lexapro may cause serotonin syndrome, a rare but serious condition caused by an excess of serotonin in the brain, which can cause symptoms such as agitation, confusion, nausea, and sweating.
- Escitalopram may cause sexual side effects such as decreased libido, difficulty achieving orgasm, or erectile dysfunction.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I drink alcohol while taking escitalopram?
Avoid alcohol while taking escitalopram, as it can worsen some of the side effects of the medication. Talk to your doctor about whether it is safe for you to have a drink or two on occasion.
How long does it take for escitalopram to work?
Escitalopram can take several weeks to start working. Continue taking the medication even if you do not feel better right away, as it may take some time for the full effects to be felt.
Can escitalopram be taken during pregnancy?
Do not take escitalopram during pregnancy, as it may pose a risk to the developing fetus. However, the decision to use escitalopram during pregnancy should be made case-by-case, considering the potential benefits and risks.
It's important to purchase Lexapro ODT from verified Canadian pharmacy.