Table of contents:
Gripe water is an over-the-counter herbal remedy commonly used to ease colic and other digestive issues in babies. The liquid is mostly used to help ease discomfort in colicky babies or to help relieve digestion problems in babies.
Gripe water is an herbal supplement typically sold in liquid form, marketed for relieving gastrointestinal discomforts such as colic, gas, and hiccups in babies. It usually consists of organic ginger and fennel, as well as other herbs like chamomile, dill, or lemon balm. While considered safe, the efficacy of gripe water in alleviating baby colic or other digestive issues has not been scientifically proven.
Uses and Dosage
To use gripe water, you can usually administer small quantities of it to the baby using a dropper or similar device. You should check the label of the specific brand you are using, as instructions may vary slightly depending on the product. It is recommended to place the dropper straight into your baby's mouth and slowly press it against the inside of their cheek to allow them to swallow it. You should never administer the gripe water directly on the tongue or in the back of the mouth to avoid choking.
Common Side Effects of Gripe Water:
Serious Side Effects of Gripe Water:
- Watery eyes
- Swelling of the lips or tongue
- A change in breathing
Form and Strength
Gripe Water is available in the following forms and strength:
Gripe Water: Liquid
- No dose
- While gripe water has not been shown to be an effective alternative for soothing colicky babies, it is considered safe. Talk with your baby’s medical professional first, follow dosing instructions, and read the ingredients carefully.
- Excessive or prolonged crying may be a sign of an underlying problem that needs medical attention, but not using gripe water as a routine treatment without consulting a pediatrician.
- When using gripe water for babies, choose a formulation that does not contain harmful ingredients such as alcohol, sugar, or sodium bicarbonate. These ingredients may be present in some gripe water formulations and can cause health risks to infants.
- It is tough to get through the next weeks or months if your baby has colic. Remember that it is completely fine to ask for help, particularly if you find yourself becoming angry or frustrated.
- Select a formulation of gripe water for your baby that does not contain alcohol, sugar, or sodium bicarbonate, if you decide to use it as a remedy for colic or other digestive issues.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is gripe water safe for babies?
The safety of gripe water may vary depending on the specific brand and ingredients. Check the label and consult with a healthcare professional before giving gripe water to a baby.
What are the ingredients in Colic Calm gripe water?
The specific ingredients in Colic Calm gripe water may vary, but they are designed to soothe baby's tummy and relieve gas pains.
Can older children use gripe water?
Yes. However, check with a healthcare professional before giving any medications or supplements to children.
How long can I keep my bottle of Organic Gripe Water?
The answer may depend on the specific brand and expiration date; check the label and follow the instructions for storage.
Can gripe water be used to treat viral infections?
Gripe water is not recommended for treating infections, and it is important to follow the advice of a healthcare professional when treating any illness.
It's important to purchase Gripe Water from verified Canadian pharmacy.