Table of contents:
Bactroban nasal ointment is a prescription medication used to treat or prevent infections in the nose caused by specific strains of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, including Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Bactroban Nasal Ointment contains the active ingredient mupirocin, which belongs to a group of medicines called antibiotics. It works by killing or inhibiting the growth of bacteria that cause infections.
Use and Dosage
To use Bactroban nasal ointment, a small amount of the ointment should be applied to the anterior nares (nostrils) twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening) for five days as directed by your healthcare provider. The recommended dosages of Bactroban Nasal Ointment can vary depending on the condition being treated and the patient's age.
When applied to the inside of the nostrils, Bactroban Nasal Ointment works specifically on bacteria that can commonly live in the nose, such as Staphylococcus aureus (including methicillin-resistant strains known as MRSA). It is used to treat and prevent infections in the nose, including MRSA.
To use Bactroban Nasal Ointment (mupirocin calcium ointment, 2%):
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Open the tube of ointment and twist off the cap.
- Tilt your head back slightly and insert the tip of the tube into one nostril.
- Apply a small amount of ointment (about the size of a match head) inside the nostril while gently squeezing the tube.
- Remove the tube from the nostril and repeat the process for the other nostril.
- Gently squeeze your nostrils together and release.
- Wash your hands again with soap and water.
To ensure the effectiveness of Bactroban Nasal Ointment, use it at evenly spaced intervals to keep a consistent level of medication in your body.
Common Side Effects of Bactroban Nasal Ointment (Mupirocin):
Serious Side Effects of Bactroban Nasal Ointment (Mupirocin):
- Severe stomach pain
- Diarrhea that is watery or bloody
- Severe itching
- Irritation of treated skin
- Unusual skin blistering or peeling and
- Signs of a new skin infection
Forms and Strength
Bactroban Nasal Ointment (Mupirocin) is available in the following forms and strength:
Bactroban Nasal Ointment: Nasal Ointment
Bactroban Nasal Ointment (Mupirocin) Cautions
- Use of Bactroban Nasal Ointment may lead to the development of resistance in other bacteria and fungi, which may cause secondary infections.
- If you develop an allergic reaction to Bactroban Nasal Ointment, which includes rash or difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately.
- There may be drug interactions associated with the use of Bactroban Nasal Ointment, inform your doctor of all medications you are currently taking.
- Bactroban Nasal Ointment is not for ophthalmic use.
- Bactroban Nasal Ointment is for intranasal use only. Do not apply it to other areas of the body.
- Bactroban Nasal Ointment should be used with caution in patients with moderate to severe renal impairment.
- The safety and efficacy of Bactroban Nasal Ointment have not been established in neonates, infants, or children.
- Prolonged use of Bactroban Nasal Ointment or use of the ointment on large areas of the body may result in overgrowth of non-susceptible bacteria or fungi.
- Patients with a history of allergic reactions to other antibiotics, particularly beta-lactam antibiotics, may experience an increased risk of hypersensitivity reactions to mupirocin.
- The use of Bactroban Nasal Ointment may result in the emergence of resistant organisms. If superinfection occurs during treatment, appropriate measures should be taken.
- Bactroban Nasal Ointment should not be used in patients with known nasal ulceration or trauma.
- The safety and efficacy of Bactroban Nasal Ointment have not been studied in immunocompromised patients.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use Bactroban Nasal Ointment if I am allergic to penicillin?
Bactroban Nasal Ointment is not a penicillin antibiotic and is not related to penicillin. However, as with any medication, let your healthcare provider know if you have any allergies.
How long does it take for Bactroban Nasal Ointment to work?
Bactroban Nasal Ointment should be applied for five days. Your healthcare provider will determine if you need another course of treatment.
Can I buy Bactroban Nasal Ointment over the counter?
No, Bactroban Nasal Ointment is a prescription medication and is not available over the counter.
It's important to purchase Bactroban Nasal Ointment from verified Canadian pharmacy.