Table of contents:
Loprox shampoo is a prescription medication used to treat seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp in adults. It is used to treat a condition that causes dry, flaky, itchy, or oily skin on the scalp. It contains ciclopirox as the active ingredient, which is an antifungal drug that works by stopping the growth of fungus.
The shampoo is available in a 1.5% strength and is used for topical application on the hair and scalp only.
Use and Dosage
Apply Loprox Shampoo only to the hair and scalp usually once, twice, or three times weekly, as directed by your doctor.
Wet your hair and scalp with water, then apply about one teaspoonful (5 milliliters) of the shampoo to wet hair and massage it over your entire scalp until it forms a lather. If you have long hair, you may need to use two teaspoonful (10 milliliters) of the product. Leave the shampoo on your hair and scalp for 3 minutes, then rinse off completely.
To avoid getting Loprox Shampoo in your eyes, nose, mouth, or vaginal area, be careful when applying it. If you accidentally get the shampoo in these areas, rinse with plenty of water.
Your doctor will give you specific instructions on how often to use Loprox Shampoo, but treatment should be repeated twice per week for 4 weeks, with a minimum of 3 days between applications. To get the most benefit from the shampoo, use it regularly and mark the days on a calendar when you need to use it.
Continue using Loprox Shampoo for the full amount of time prescribed, even if your symptoms disappear after a few days.
Common Side Effects of Loprox Shampoo (Ciclopirox Olamine):
- Mild burning itching or redness
Serious Side Effects of Loprox Shampoo (Ciclopirox Olamine):
- Difficulty breathing
- Discoloration or other changes of the nails
- Redness burning dryness or irritation of treated skin and
- Severe dizziness
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
- Unusual or severe itching
Forms and Strength
Loprox Shampoo (Ciclopirox Olamine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Loprox Shampoo: Shampoo
- Allergic reactions: Some people may have an allergic reaction to ciclopirox olamine, which can cause symptoms such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. If you experience any of these symptoms after using Loprox shampoo, seek medical attention right away.
- Eye contact: Avoid getting Loprox shampoo in your eyes, as it may cause irritation or burning.
- Skin irritation: Some people may experience skin irritation, redness, or itching after using Loprox shampoo. If these symptoms are severe or persistent, talk to your healthcare provider.
- Safety during pregnancy and breastfeeding: The safety of Loprox shampoo during pregnancy or breastfeeding has not been established. Talk to your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before using this medication.
- Interactions with other medications: If you are taking any other medications, be sure to let your healthcare provider know before using Loprox shampoo to avoid any potential interactions.
- Use on infected areas: Loprox shampoo is meant to be used only on seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp. It should not be used on any other area of the body or on skin that is infected.
- Overuse: Overuse of Loprox shampoo may lead to increased skin irritation or other side effects. Use only as directed by your healthcare provider.
- Sensitive skin: If you have sensitive skin, you may be more likely to experience skin irritation or other side effects when using Loprox shampoo.
- Children: The safety and effectiveness of Loprox shampoo have not been established in children. Talk to your healthcare provider before using this medication on a child.
- Alcohol content: Loprox shampoo contains a small amount of alcohol, which may cause dryness or irritation of the scalp in some people.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long should I use Loprox Shampoo?
The duration of treatment with Loprox Shampoo may vary depending on the severity of your condition and your healthcare professional's recommendation. Complete the full course of treatment to get the best results.
Can Loprox Shampoo be used on color-treated hair?
Loprox Shampoo may cause some fading or discoloration of color-treated hair. To avoid this, use caution when applying the shampoo and rinse it out thoroughly with water.
Is Loprox Shampoo available over the counter?
No, Loprox Shampoo is a prescription medication and is only available with a prescription from a healthcare professional.
How do I store Loprox Shampoo?
Loprox Shampoo should be stored at room temperature, away from heat and moisture. Do not freeze the shampoo.
Can Loprox Shampoo be used for other skin conditions besides seborrheic dermatitis?
Loprox Shampoo is indicated only for the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp. It should not be used for any other skin condition without the guidance of a healthcare professional.
It's important to purchase Loprox Shampoo from verified Canadian pharmacy.