Table of contents:
Gaviscon Liquid Fruit is a type of liquid medication used to provide relief from heartburn, acid reflux, and GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease). It quickly neutralizes stomach acid and helps keep acid down for hours. The liquid comes in a Soothing Fruit Blend flavor.
The unique Gaviscon soothing liquid formula provides fast, soothing, and long-lasting relief from acid reflux and heartburn. It works by creating a raft foam barrier, which helps reduce the number of reflux episodes and provides longer-lasting action compared to ordinary antacid products.
Use and Dosage
To use Gaviscon Liquid Fruit for heartburn and acid reflux relief, first, shake the bottle well to ensure that the contents are properly mixed. Then, either drink it directly from the bottle or use a spoon to measure the desired dose.
The recommended dosage for adults and children above 12 years old is 2 to 4 teaspoons of Gaviscon Liquid Fruit after meals and before bedtime. However, do exceed 4 doses in a 24-hour period.
Note that Gaviscon Liquid Fruit should be used only as directed on the label, and if you are not sure about the appropriate dose or have any concerns, speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using it. Additionally, you should not use Gaviscon Liquid Fruit if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or if you are taking any other medications that may interact with it unless directed by your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Gaviscon Liquid Fruit (Alginic Acid - non-Rx):
- Allergic reactions (such as rash or hives)
- Stomach discomfort or pain
Serious Side Effects of Gaviscon Liquid Fruit (Alginic Acid - non-Rx):
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like: rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat
Forms and Strength
Gaviscon Liquid Fruit (Alginic Acid - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Gaviscon Liquid Fruit: Fruit Flavored
- As with any medication, consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking Gaviscon Liquid Fruit, especially if you have any medical conditions or are taking any other medications.
- Gaviscon Liquid Fruit may interact with certain medications, including tetracycline antibiotics, digoxin, and iron supplements. Consult with a doctor or pharmacist to ensure the medication is safe to take with other medications you are taking. It should be taken at least two hours before or after taking other medications, supplements, or meals.
- Gaviscon should be used with caution in patients with heart or blood vessel problems, as it may contain sodium which can increase blood pressure and fluid accumulation.
- Gaviscon should be used with caution in patients with kidney problems, as it contains aluminum and may cause aluminum toxicity.
- Gaviscon should not be used by people with a history of allergic reactions to any of the ingredients in the product.
- Gaviscon should not be used long-term without medical supervision.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should talk to their doctor before taking Gaviscon or any medication for heartburn.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Gaviscon interact with alcohol or other foods?
Gaviscon-2 (Alginic Acid) does not have any known interactions with alcohol or other foods. However, people with certain medical conditions or allergies should speak with their doctor before taking any medication, including Gaviscon.
How long after eating should you take Gaviscon liquid?
If you use antacids (such as Tums, Rolaids, Gaviscon) take these 30 minutes after meals and if needed, 3 hours after meals.
Can Gaviscon be used to treat cancer?
While some studies have suggested that alginic acid (an active ingredient in Gaviscon) may have cancer-fighting properties, Gaviscon is not approved as a treatment for cancer.
Is Gaviscon gluten-free?
Yes, Gaviscon is gluten-free.
It's important to purchase Gaviscon Liquid Fruit from verified Canadian pharmacy.