Feldene gel is a prescription medication indicated to relieve pain and reduce swelling caused by conditions characterized by pain and inflammation, such as arthritis and sprains. It contains an active ingredient piroxicam, which belongs to the group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It works by decreasing the production of prostaglandins, which are chemicals produced by the body in response to injury or inflammation. Prostaglandins cause pain and swelling and can also contribute to fever.
Feldene gel is available only with a prescription from a healthcare professional. It should not be used by pregnant women, especially during the last 20 weeks of pregnancy, as it can cause serious heart or kidney problems in the unborn baby and complications during delivery.
Use and Dosage
Piroxicam gel is a topical medication applied directly to the skin over the affected area.
To use Piroxicam gel, follow these general steps:
- Wash your hands and the affected area thoroughly before applying the gel.
- Squeeze out a small amount of gel from the tube onto your finger.
- Gently massage the gel into the affected area until it is absorbed.
- Repeat this process 3 or 4 times a day or as directed by your doctor.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after applying the gel.
Follow the instructions provided by your doctor or included with the medication. It is usually applied to the skin and should not be taken orally. If you have any questions or concerns about using Piroxicam gel, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Common Side Effects of Feldene Gel (Piroxicam):
- Itching or rash at the application site
- Sensitivity to sunlight
- Skin irritation
- Stomach pain
- Swelling in the extremities
Serious Side Effects of Feldene Gel (Piroxicam):
- Blurred vision
- Pale skin
- Pounding in the neck or ears
- Shortness of breath
- Yellowing of skin or eyes (jaundice)
Forms and Strength
Feldene Gel (Piroxicam) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Allergic reactions: Feldene Gel may cause an allergic reaction in some people. It is important to seek medical attention if you notice symptoms such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Cardiovascular problems: Piroxicam belongs to a class of drugs known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which can increase the risk of cardiovascular problems such as heart attack and stroke. This risk may be higher in people with a history of cardiovascular disease or who have risk factors for it.
- Gastrointestinal problems: Feldene Gel can cause gastrointestinal problems such as stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, and ulcers. This risk may be higher in people who have a history of peptic ulcer disease or who take high doses of the medication.
- Renal toxicity: Piroxicam can cause kidney damage, especially in people who have pre-existing kidney problems or who take the medication for a prolonged period.
- Avoid use during pregnancy: Feldene Gel should be avoided in the last 20 weeks of pregnancy as it may cause serious heart or kidney problems in the unborn baby.
- Skin irritation: Feldene Gel may cause skin irritation, including itching, redness, or rash. If you experience any of these symptoms, discontinue use and contact your doctor.
- Avoid use with other NSAIDs: Taking Feldene Gel with other NSAIDs, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, may increase the risk of gastrointestinal problems and cardiovascular events.
- Interactions with other medications: Piroxicam may interact with other medications, including blood thinners and corticosteroids. It is important to let your doctor know about all medications you are taking before using Feldene Gel.
- Use with caution in the elderly: Elderly individuals may be more susceptible to the side effects of Feldene Gel, especially gastrointestinal problems, and kidney damage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use Feldene Gel for a long-term condition?
Feldene Gel should only be used for short-term relief of pain and inflammation. If you have a long-term condition, your doctor may recommend a different treatment plan.
How long does it take for Feldene Gel to work?
Feldene Gel may take up to a week or longer to reach its full effect. However, some people may experience relief from pain and inflammation within a few days.
Is Feldene Gel addictive?
Feldene Gel is not addictive. It is a non-narcotic pain reliever that works by reducing inflammation and swelling.
Can children use Feldene Gel?
Feldene Gel is not recommended for use in children under 12 years old. It should only be used under medical supervision in adolescents aged 12 to 18 years.