Table of contents:
Feldene Flash is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to reduce pain and inflammation in various conditions such as arthritis, gout, and menstrual cramps. It is used to trea swelling and joint stiffness from arthritis. Reducing these symptoms helps you do more of your normal daily activities.
Feldene Flash contains the active ingredient piroxicam. It is known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by blocking your body's production of certain natural substances that cause inflammation.
Use and Dosage
Feldene Flash is a type of medication that is administered orally in the form of Fast Dissolving Tablet. Your doctor will instruct you to take it once daily with a full glass of water and advise you to refrain from lying down for at least 10 minutes after taking the medication. To avoid stomach discomfort, you should consume the table with food, milk, or an antacid.
The dosage of Feldene Flash is determined by your medical condition and how you respond to treatment. To minimize the risk of stomach bleeding and other adverse effects, you should take the tablet at the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration possible. Do not increase your dosage or take it more frequently or for a longer period than prescribed.
If you are taking Feldene Flash tablet on an as-needed basis (not on a regular schedule), take it at the first signs of pain. Waiting until the pain has worsened may impact the efficacy of the medication.
Common Side Effects of Feldene Flash (Piroxicam):
- Abdominal pain
- Blurred vision
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Gross bleeding/perforation
- Ringing in your ears
- Skin itching or rash
- Stomach pain
- Ulcers (gastric/duodenal)
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Feldene Flash (Piroxicam):
- Bloody or tarry stools
- Blurred vision
- Clay colored stools
- Cold hands or feet
- Coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- Dark urine
- Feeling light-headed
- Little or no urination
- Loss of appetite
- Pale skin and
- Pounding in neck or ears
- Rapid weight gain
- Severe headache
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain
- Swelling in your feet or ankles
- Yellowing of skin or eyes (jaundice)
- Serious eye symptoms such as: sudden vision loss, blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or swelling, or seeing halos around lights
- Serious heart symptoms such as: fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeats; fluttering in your chest; shortness of breath; and sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, or passing out
- Severe headache, confusion, slurred speech, arm or leg weakness, trouble walking, loss of coordination, feeling unsteady, very stiff muscles, high fever, profuse sweating, or tremors
Forms and Strength
Feldene Flash (Piroxicam) is available in the following forms and strength:
Feldene Flash: Fast Dissolving Tablet
- It should not be used as a first-line treatment
- Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk
- Discontinuation of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug therapy may result in renal effects
- Taking an NSAID during the last 20 weeks of pregnancy can cause serious heart or kidney problems in the unborn baby and possible complications
- Patients with a history of gastrointestinal bleeding or peptic ulcers may be at greater risk of experiencing these conditions
- Piroxicam may increase the risk of potentially severe skin reactions such as Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Like all nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, piroxicam can cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, including heart attack and stroke
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can children take Feldene Flash?
Feldene Flash is not recommended for use in children.
How long does it take for Feldene Flash to work?
Feldene Flash typically starts to work within a few hours of taking the first dose. However, it may take up to two weeks to experience the full benefits of the medication.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Feldene Flash?
Do not drink alcohol while taking Feldene Flash, as this can increase the risk of gastrointestinal side effects such as stomach bleeding.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Feldene Flash?
If you miss a dose of Feldene Flash, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
It's important to purchase Feldene Flash from verified Canadian pharmacy.