Table of contents:
Decadron Elixir is a prescription medication usually used to treat a variety of conditions, such as allergic reactions, arthritis, blood/hormone disorders, and skin diseases. It can be indicated to treat certain types of cancer.
Decadron Elixir contains the active ingredient dexamethasone. Dexamethasone belongs to a class of drugs known as corticosteroids. It works by decreasing the body's natural defensive response and reducing inflammation and swelling.
Use and Dosage
Use the liquid form of Dexamethasone, and carefully measure the dose using a special measuring device/spoon. Take Dexamethasone by mouth with food or milk to prevent stomach upset. Do not use a household spoon because it may not provide the correct dose.
If you take Dexamethasone liquid once daily, take it in the morning before 9 AM. If you are taking Dexamethasone every other day or on another schedule besides a daily one, it may help to mark your calendar with a reminder.
Do not stop taking Dexamethasone without consulting your doctor, as some conditions may become worse when this drug is suddenly stopped. Also, you may experience symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, weakness, or muscle/joint pain. To prevent these symptoms while you are stopping treatment with this drug, your doctor may reduce your dose gradually. Please consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details and report any new or worsening symptoms right away.
Common Side Effects of Decadron Elixir (Dexamethasone):
- Difficulty sleeping
- Easy bruising
- Impaired wound healing
- Increased appetite
- Increased blood sugar levels
- Increased hair growth
- Irregular or absent menstrual periods
- Mood swings
- Stomach irritation
- Swelling in feet and ankles (fluid retention)
- Upset stomach
- Weight gain
Serious Side Effects of Decadron Elixir (Dexamethasone):
- Abnormal fat deposits
- Black or tarry stool
- Cold or infection that lasts a long time
- Dry and/or thinning skin
- Loss of muscle mass
- Muscle weakness
- Skin rash
- Swollen face, lower legs, or ankles
- Thinning scalp hair
- Vision problems
Forms and Strength
Decadron Elixir (Dexamethasone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Dexamethasone: Oral Liquid
- Increased risk of infections: Dexamethasone can suppress the immune system, which increases the risk of infections. Patients taking Decadron Elixir should be carefully monitored for signs of infection, such as fever, chills, or sore throat.
- Increased risk of bleeding: Dexamethasone can impair blood clotting and increase the risk of bleeding. Patients taking Decadron Elixir should be monitored for signs of bleeding, such as unusual bruising or bleeding from the gums or nose.
- Increased risk of osteoporosis: Long-term use of dexamethasone can lead to osteoporosis (weak and brittle bones), especially in postmenopausal women. Patients taking Decadron Elixir for a long time should be monitored for osteoporosis signs and may require supplemental calcium and vitamin D.
- Adrenal suppression: Long-term use of dexamethasone can suppress the function of the adrenal gland, which can lead to adrenal insufficiency. Patients taking Decadron Elixir for a long time should be monitored for signs of adrenal insufficiency, such as fatigue, weakness, and weight loss.
- Glaucoma: Dexamethasone can increase intraocular pressure, which can worsen glaucoma or even cause it in susceptible individuals. Patients with a history of glaucoma should be monitored closely when taking Decadron Elixir.
- Interactions with other medications: Dexamethasone may interact with other medications, including blood thinners, diabetes medications, and certain antibiotics. Patients taking Decadron Elixir should inform their healthcare provider about all medications they are currently taking to avoid potential interactions.
- Mood changes: Dexamethasone can cause changes in mood, ranging from irritability to severe depression. Patients taking Decadron Elixir should be monitored for any changes in mood or behavior.
- Fluid retention: Dexamethasone can cause fluid retention, which can lead to swelling in the legs and ankles. Patients taking Decadron Elixir should be monitored for any signs of fluid retention.
- Gastrointestinal ulcers: Dexamethasone can increase the risk of gastrointestinal ulcers and bleeding. Patients taking Decadron Elixir should be monitored for any signs of gastrointestinal bleeding, such as black or tarry stools.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Dexamethasone may not be safe for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding, and patients should discuss the potential risks and benefits of taking Decadron Elixir with their healthcare provider if they are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is dexamethasone safe to use during pregnancy?
Patients should consult their healthcare provider before using Decadron Elixir during pregnancy, as it may not be safe. Do not use dexamethasone during breastfeeding.
What should I do if I miss a dose of dexamethasone?
If you miss a dose of dexamethasone, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule.
Can I stop taking dexamethasone abruptly?
No, you should not stop taking dexamethasone abruptly without consulting your doctor. Sudden discontinuation of the medication may cause your condition to worsen, and you may experience withdrawal symptoms.
It's important to purchase Decadron Elixir from verified Canadian pharmacy.