Table of contents:
Duricef is used to treat bacterial infections in various parts of the body, such as skin, respiratory tract, urinary tract, and tonsils. It belongs to the class of medicines known as cephalosporin antibiotics. Duricef works by stopping the growth of bacteria, which helps to control the infection.
Cefadroxil is an antibiotic mediciene indicated to treat only bacterial infections. It will not work for viral infections (such as common cold, flu). Using any antibiotic when it is not needed can cause it to not work for future infections.
Uses and Dosage
Duricef can be taken in the form of a tablet by mouth with or without food, as directed by your healthcare provider, usually once or twice a day. If stomach upset occurs, you may take Duricef with food.
To get the best results, take Duricef at evenly spaced times every day, and aim to take it at the same time(s) each day to help you remember. Duricef should be used only for bacterial infections, as using antibiotics when they are not required can lead to antibiotic resistance. Always follow your healthcare provider's instructions when using Duricef or any other medication.
The dosage is based on your medical condition, response to treatment, and weight in children. To achieve the best effect, take this antibiotic at evenly spaced times. To help remember to take Duricef, take it at the same time(s) every day. Here are some examples of recommended dosages:
- For urinary tract infections in children: 30 mg/kg/day in divided doses every 12 hours.
- For streptococcal pharyngitis (strep throat): 1 g per day, either as a single dose or divided into two doses taken 12 hours apart, for 10 days.
- For skin and skin structure infections: 1 g per day, either as a single dose or divided into two doses taken 12 hours apart.
- For beta-hemolytic streptococcal infections: 1 g per day, either as a single dose or divided into two doses taken 12 hours apart, for at least 10 days.
Common Side Effects of Duricef (Cefadroxil):
- Feeling restless or hyperactive
- Itching or skin rash
- Joint pain
- Stiff or tight muscles
- Stomach upset or pain
- Unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth
- Vaginal itching or discharge
Serious Side Effects of Duricef (Cefadroxil):
- Changes in the amount of urine
- Dark urine
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Mental/mood changes (such as confusion)
- New signs of infection (e.g., persistent sore throat or fever)
- Persistent nausea or vomiting
- Yellowing eyes or skin
Form and Strength
Duricef (Cefadroxil) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 500 mg
- People who are allergic to cephalosporin antibiotics or penicillin should avoid taking Duricef.
- Duricef should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease or a history of gastrointestinal diseases, such as colitis.
- Duricef may interact with other medications, inform your healthcare provider about all prescription and non-prescription medications, as well as any herbal supplements or vitamins that you are taking.
- Duricef can affect the results of certain lab tests, so be sure to inform your healthcare provider that you are taking this medication.
- Duricef should be used with caution in patients with a history of seizures or other neurologic disorders.
- Long-term use of Duricef may increase the risk of developing antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- Duricef should be used with caution in patients with a history of bleeding or clotting disorders.
- Duricef may cause diarrhea. If you experience severe or persistent diarrhea while taking Duricef, contact your healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How should I take Duricef?
Take Duricef exactly as directed by your doctor and complete the full course of treatment, even if your symptoms improve.
How long should I take Duricef?
Take Duricef for the full course of treatment, as prescribed by your healthcare provider. This will help to ensure that the infection is fully treated and help to prevent the development of antibiotic resistance.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Duricef?
If you miss a dose of Duricef, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
It's important to purchase Duricef from verified Canadian pharmacy.