Table of contents:
Dicetel is a medication used to treat irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms such as abdominal pain, bowel disturbances, and discomfort. Its active ingredient is pinaverium bromide. It belongs to the class of medications called gastrointestinal calcium antagonists.
Pinaverium bromide inhibits the influx of calcium into intestinal smooth muscle cells, thereby relaxing the muscles and reducing spasms. Pinaverium can be used to help relieve symptoms caused by certain disorders of the gallbladder associated with secretion of bile.
Use and Dosage
Dicetel comes in the form of a tablet that is taken by mouth. It is usually taken twice a day, as directed by a doctor, and is often used to treat symptoms related to functional disorders of the biliary tract and irritable bowel syndrome.
The usual starting adult dose of pinaverium is 50 mg, taken 3 times a day with a glass of water during meals or snacks. Your doctor may increase the dose to 100 mg 3 times daily if adequate relief is not obtained with the lower dose. The tablet should not be swallowed when lying down or just before bedtime. The recommended maximum (total) daily dose of pinaverium is 300 mg. The length of treatment with this medication depends on the reason for use.
Take the tablet exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Dicetel (Pinaverium Bromide):
- Abdominal bloating
- Dry mouth
- Feeling of fullness
- Skin allergy
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Dicetel (Pinaverium Bromide):
- Abdominal cramps
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Swelling of the face and throat
- Throat or chest pain
Forms and Strength
Dicetel (Pinaverium Bromide) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 50 mg
- 100 mg
- Allergic reactions: If you are allergic to pinaverium bromide or any of the ingredients in Dicetel, you should not take it.
- Side effects: Common side effects of Dicetel include nausea, diarrhea, and headache. More serious side effects can include anaphylactic reactions, blurred vision, and muscle weakness.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: It is not known if Dicetel is safe to use during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should talk to their doctor before taking Dicetel.
- Children: The safety and effectiveness of Dicetel in children under the age of 18 have not been established.
- Interactions with other medications: Dicetel may interact with other medications, including blood thinners and certain heart medications. People taking these medications should speak with their doctor before taking Dicetel.
- Liver or kidney impairment: Dicetel may not be suitable for people with impaired liver or kidney function, as it may worsen their condition. Individuals with liver or kidney problems should consult their doctor before taking Dicetel.
- Use in elderly patients: Elderly patients may be more sensitive to the effects of Dicetel than younger patients. Dosage adjustments may be necessary for older adults taking this medication.
- Driving and operating machinery: Dicetel may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision, which may impair the ability to perform tasks that require alertness. People taking Dicetel should avoid driving or operating machinery until they know how the medication affects them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Dicetel available over the counter?
Dicetel is not available over the counter. It requires a prescription from a healthcare provider.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Dicetel?
If you miss a dose of Dicetel, you should take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed one.
How long does it take for Dicetel to start working?
The onset of action of Dicetel may vary depending on the individual, but it typically takes a few days to a few weeks for the full effect of the medication to be felt.
Can Dicetel be used long-term?
Dicetel can be used long-term as directed by your healthcare provider. However, if you experience any side effects or changes in your symptoms, you should consult your healthcare provider.
Can Dicetel cause addiction or dependence?
Dicetel is not known to cause addiction or dependence.
It's important to purchase Dicetel from verified Canadian pharmacy.