Table of contents:
PEG 3350 is a medication commonly used for colon cleansing before procedures such as colonoscopies, but it can also be used for other types of constipation. It is an osmotic laxative that works by increasing the amount of water in the stool to soften it and increase the number of bowel movements.
When taken orally, PEG 3350 is not absorbed into the bloodstream but remains in the intestines where it attracts and retains water. This stimulates bowel movements, making it easier to pass stool.
Uses and Dosage
Polyethylene glycol 3350 comes as a powder that needs to be mixed with a liquid and taken orally. It is usually taken once a day, as needed, for up to two weeks. Follow the directions on the prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part that you do not understand. Take polyethylene glycol 3350 exactly as directed.
Do not take a larger dose, take it more often, or take it for a longer period than your doctor tells you to, as it may be habit-forming. It may take up to four days for polyethylene glycol 3350 to produce a bowel movement.
To use the powder, take the following steps:
- If using polyethylene glycol 3350 from a bottle, use the measuring line on the bottle cap to measure a single dose, which is about one heaping tablespoon. If using polyethylene glycol 3350 packets, each packet contains a single dose.
- Pour the powder into a cup containing 8 ounces or 240 milliliters of water, juice, soda, coffee, or tea.
- Stir to dissolve the powder.
- Drink immediately.
Common Side Effects of Peg 3350 (Polyethylene Glycol):
- Anal irritation
- Feeling very full in your stomach
- More hungry and thirsty
- Stomach cramps
- Trouble sleeping
Serious Side Effects of Peg 3350 (Polyethylene Glycol):
- Bloody urine
- Blurred vision
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Hives, itching, skin rash
- Increased thirst
- Lower back or side pain
- Pale skin
- Stomach tenderness
- Tingling of the hands or feet
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Form and Strength
Peg 3350 (Polyethylene Glycol) is available in the following forms and strength:
Polyethylene Glycol: Powder for Oral Solution
- No dose
- Do not take PEG 3350 if you are allergic to polyethylene glycol or any other ingredients in the medication.
- Do not take PEG 3350 if you have a bowel obstruction, which means a blockage in the digestive system.
- Speak to a healthcare provider before taking PEG 3350 if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
- PEG 3350 can cause electrolyte imbalances in some cases, which can be dangerous, especially in people with certain medical conditions. It is important to speak to a healthcare provider if you have any concerns or preexisting medical conditions.
- Tell your healthcare provider about all the medications, supplements, and herbal products you are taking, as they may interact with PEG 3350, potentially causing harm or reducing its effectiveness.
- People with inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis, or other gastrointestinal disorders should speak with a healthcare provider before taking PEG 3350 to determine if it is safe for them.
- PEG 3350 can cause dehydration if not taken with enough fluids. It is important to drink plenty of fluids while taking the medication.
- People with kidney disease should use PEG 3350 with caution and under medical supervision, as electrolyte imbalances may affect kidney function.
- Elderly individuals may be more susceptible to fluid and electrolyte imbalances and should use PEG 3350 with caution and under medical supervision.
- Some people may experience adverse reactions such as gastrointestinal discomfort, cramping, nausea, or allergic reactions. If any of these symptoms occur, speak with a healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for PEG 3350 to start working?
It may take 2 to 4 days for polyethylene glycol 3350 to produce a bowel movement.
Is PEG 3350 safe?
PEG 3350 is generally considered safe when used as directed. However, as with any medication, there are potential side effects and risks that should be discussed with your healthcare provider.
Can children take PEG 3350?
PEG 3350 is approved for use in children ages 6 months and older. However, the dosage and frequency may be different than for adults, and it should only be used under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
It's important to purchase Peg 3350 from verified Canadian pharmacy.