Table of contents:
Viokace is a prescription medication used in combination with a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) to help treat adults who have problems digesting food normally. Viokace contains digestive enzymes, including lipase, amylase, and protease, which are normally produced by the pancreas to help break down fats, carbohydrates, and proteins in our food.
Viokace works by supplementing levels of these enzymes in the body, helping to improve food breakdown and absorption.
In people with conditions such as chronic pancreatitis, cystic fibrosis, and other disorders of the pancreas, the body does not produce sufficient digestive enzymes, leading to problems with digestion and nutrient absorption.
Use and Dosage
Viokace comes as a tablet that should be taken by mouth with every meal and snack as directed by your doctor. It should be swallowed whole, and you should not crush or chew the tablets or keep them in your mouth. Doing so can irritate your mouth and throat and affect the effectiveness of the medication. While taking Viokace, drink plenty of fluids unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
The dosage of Viokace is based on your medical condition, diet, weight, and response to treatment. Do not take more tablets a day than prescribed by your doctor, as this will not improve your condition any faster and will increase your risk of side effects.
To improve the effectiveness of Viokace, your doctor should also prescribe a proton pump inhibitor, such as lansoprazole or omeprazole, to decrease stomach acid. This helps prevent the medication from breaking down in your stomach.
For the best results, take Viokace regularly and follow any diet recommendations from your doctor or nutritionist.
Common Side Effects of Viokace (Pancrealipase):
- Feeling full after eating a small amount
- Irritation around the anus
- Neck pain
- Sore mouth or tongue
- Sore throat
Serious Side Effects of Viokace (Pancrealipase):
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Difficulty having bowel movements
- Pain or swelling in joints, especially the big toe
- Stomach pain or bloating
Forms and Strength
Viokace (Pancrealipase) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Exercise caution using Viokace in patients that have gout, renal impairment, or hyperuricemia.
- Do not use Viokace in patients who are hypersensitive to pork.
- Viokace can increase the risk of bowel obstruction, especially in patients with a history of bowel obstruction, fibrosing colonopathy, or intestinal strictures.
- Viokace may increase the risk of uric acid nephropathy, especially in patients with a history of hyperuricemia or gout.
- Viokace may increase the risk of bleeding, especially in patients with a history of bleeding disorders or taking blood thinners.
- Use Viokace with caution in patients with a history of high uric acid levels, kidney stones, or kidney disease.
- Viokace may cause allergic reactions, and patients should seek medical attention right away if they experience symptoms such as difficulty breathing, rash, or swelling.
- Viokace may interact with certain medications, including antacids and proton pump inhibitors, and can lead to decreased effectiveness of Viokace.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How should I store Viokace?
Viokace should be stored at room temperature and away from heat and moisture. It should also be kept out of the reach of children.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Viokace?
If you miss a dose of Viokace, you should take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose, you should skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
How long does it take for Viokace to start working?
Viokace typically begins working within 30 minutes to 1 hour of taking it. However, the exact time it takes for the medication to work may vary depending on factors such as the severity of your condition and the type of food you are eating.
Is Viokace safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
It is not known whether Viokace is safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. You should talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of using Viokace if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
It's important to purchase Viokace from verified Canadian pharmacy.