Table of contents:
Benzagel is an over-the-counter acne treatment medication usually used to treat mild to moderate acne. It can be used to reduce the amount of acne-causing bacteria on the skin, dry out excess oil, and peel away dead skin cells. Benzagel helps to decrease symptoms caused by rosacea, such as pimples and bumps on the face.
Benzagel contains benzoyl peroxide as an active ingredient. Benzoyl peroxide works by breaking down into benzoic acid and oxygen when applied to the skin, and the oxygen helps kill the bacteria that contribute to acne. In addition to its antibacterial properties, benzoyl peroxide also has anti-inflammatory effects, which help reduce redness and swelling.
Use and Dosage
Apply benzoyl peroxide to the affected areas of your skin affected by acne if you are treating acne, and to your face if you are treating rosacea. Avoid getting benzoyl peroxide in your eyes, inside your nose or mouth, on your lips, or on any areas of broken skin as it may cause irritation. If contact occurs, flush the area with plenty of water and wash your hands after applying. Benzoyl peroxide may bleach hair or fabrics, so use with care and avoid contact with hair, clothing, and furnishings.
To use Benzagel (Benzoyl Peroxide), follow these steps:
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and pat dry.
- Apply a small amount of Benzagel to the affected areas of your skin, avoiding the eyes, lips, and other sensitive areas.
- Gently rub the gel into your skin until it is fully absorbed.
- Wait a few minutes before applying any other skincare products or makeup.
- Use Benzagel once or twice daily, or as directed by a healthcare provider or dermatologist.
- Be mindful of using Benzagel on clothing and towels, as it may have a bleaching effect.
- If you experience any skin irritation or dryness while using Benzagel, reduce the frequency of use or discontinue use altogether.
Follow the instructions for use and talk to a healthcare provider or dermatologist if you have any concerns or questions about using Benzagel or other acne treatment products.
Common Side Effects of Benzagel (Benzoyl Peroxide):
- Itching or tingly feeling
- Mild stinging or burning
- Redness or other irritation
- Skin dryness peeling or flaking
Serious Side Effects of Benzagel (Benzoyl Peroxide):
- Difficulty breathing
- Severe itching, burning, or redness
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
Forms and Strength
Benzagel (Benzoyl Peroxide) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 2.5 %
- 5 %
Benzoyl Peroxide: Topical Gel
- 2.5 %
- 5 %
- Start with a lower concentration product if you have never used benzoyl peroxide before, as some people may experience skin irritation or dryness.
- Be careful when using benzoyl peroxide products on sensitive areas such as around the eyes and mouth, as they can cause irritation and redness.
- Do not apply benzoyl peroxide to broken or irritated skin, as this can increase the risk of further irritation and infection.
- Avoid using benzoyl peroxide products with other topical acne medications without consulting a healthcare provider or dermatologist, as they may interact and increase the risk of side effects.
- If you experience severe skin irritation or allergic reactions while using benzoyl peroxide products, stop using the product and seek medical attention.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight and UV rays while using benzoyl peroxide products, as they can increase the risk of skin irritation and sunburn.
- Do not use benzoyl peroxide products on skin that has been recently waxed or shaved, as this can increase the risk of skin irritation and redness.
- Avoid using abrasive or exfoliating products on the skin while using benzoyl peroxide, as this can increase the risk of irritation and dryness.
- Be mindful of using benzoyl peroxide products in conjunction with other drying agents such as alcohol-based toners and astringents, as this can further dry out the skin and increase the risk of irritation.
- Use caution when using benzoyl peroxide products during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, as the effects on a developing fetus or infant are not fully understood and further research is needed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long should I use Benzagel to see results?
It may take several weeks of consistent use to see improvement in acne symptoms while using Benzagel or other benzoyl peroxide products.
Can I use Benzagel with other acne treatments?
Do not use Benzagel or other benzoyl peroxide products with other topical acne medications without consulting a healthcare provider or dermatologist, as they may interact and increase the risk of side effects.
Can Benzagel bleach my clothes or towels?
Benzoyl peroxide can have a bleaching effect on clothing and towels, avoiding contact with these materials or to use white towels and clothing.
How often should I use Benzagel?
Use Benzagel once or twice daily, or as directed by a healthcare provider or dermatologist.
It's important to purchase Benzagel from verified Canadian pharmacy.