Table of contents:
Benadryl Liquid Elixir is a fast-acting liquid medication that provides relief from allergies and allergic reactions. It contains diphenhydramine as its active ingredient, which is an antihistamine that helps to reduce the symptoms of allergies such as sneezing, itching, runny nose, and watery eyes. The liquid format of the medication allows for flexible dosing, making it convenient for adults and children alike.
Diphenhydramine can be used to prevent and treat motion sickness, and to treat insomnia (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep). Diphenhydramine is also used to control abnormal movements in people who have early-stage parkinsonian syndrome (a disorder of the nervous system that causes difficulties with movement, muscle control, and balance) or who are experiencing movement problems as a side effect of a medication.
Use and Dosage
To use Benadryl Liquid Elixir, one should follow the dosage instructions provided by their healthcare provider or on the product label. Do not use it if the band on the cap and/or seal over the bottle opening is missing or broken. The appropriate dosage may vary depending on age, weight, and the severity of the symptoms.
When diphenhydramine is used for the relief of allergies, cold, and cough symptoms, it is usually taken every 4 to 6 hours. When diphenhydramine is used to treat motion sickness, it is usually taken 30 minutes before departure and, if needed, before meals and at bedtime. When diphenhydramine is used to treat insomnia, it is taken at bedtime (30 minutes before planned sleep). When diphenhydramine is used to treat abnormal movements, it is usually taken three times a day at first and then taken 4 times a day. Follow the directions on the package or on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take diphenhydramine exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor or directed on the label.
Benadryl Liquid can be taken orally with or without food. Use a special measuring device or spoon to ensure the correct dosage is administered. Be aware of any potential drug interactions and consult with a healthcare provider before using Benadryl Liquid Elixir with other medications. Additionally, store the medication at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.
Common Side Effects of Benadryl Liquid Elixir (Diphenhydramine Hcl - non-Rx):
- Dry mouth, nose, and throat
- Excitement (especially in children)
- Increased chest congestion
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
Serious Side Effects of Benadryl Liquid Elixir (Diphenhydramine Hcl - non-Rx):
- Change in balance
- Difficulty urinating or painful urination
- Feeling less alert
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Very bad dizziness or passing out
- Vision problems
Forms and Strength
Benadryl Liquid Elixir (Diphenhydramine Hcl - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Benadryl Liquid Elixir: Liquid
- Caution should be used when prescribing or taking medication in combination with alcohol.
- Antihistamines, like diphenhydramine, should be used with caution in patients with glaucoma, difficulty urinating, or an enlarged prostate.
- Patients should be cautious when driving or engaging in other activities that require alertness or coordination after taking Benadryl or any other antihistamine.
- Children may be more sensitive to the effects of antihistamines and should be given the appropriate dosage based on their age and weight.
- Patients should be aware of potential drug interactions between Benadryl and other medications they are taking and should consult with their healthcare provider before starting any new medication.
- Individuals with liver disease or a history of seizures should use Benadryl with caution.
- Antihistamines can cause side effects such as dizziness, dry mouth, and blurred vision, especially in high doses or with frequent use.
- Patients who have experienced an allergic reaction to diphenhydramine or any other antihistamine should avoid using the medication.
- Benadryl Liquid Elixir should not be used to treat symptoms of asthma or other respiratory conditions.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consult with their healthcare provider before using Benadryl Liquid Elixir.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I take Benadryl Liquid Elixir with other medications?
Consult with a healthcare provider before taking Benadryl with other medications, as there may be potential drug interactions that could have adverse effects.
How quickly does Benadryl Liquid Elixir work?
Benadryl Liquid Elixir typically starts to work within 15-30 minutes of taking it.
Can I give Benadryl Liquid Elixir to my pet?
Benadryl Liquid Elixir should only be given to pets under the guidance of a veterinarian.
How should I store Benadryl Liquid Elixir?
Benadryl Liquid Elixir should be stored at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.
Can Benadryl Liquid Elixir be addictive?
Benadryl is not considered addictive but can cause drowsiness and other side effects that may impair cognitive function. Follow the dosage instructions provided by a healthcare provider or on the product label.
It's important to purchase Benadryl Liquid Elixir from verified Canadian pharmacy.