Asmanex generically known as Mometasone Furoate is a prescription medication used to control and prevent symptoms of asthma, such as wheezing and shortness of breath. It belongs to a class of drugs known as corticosteroids. Asmanex works by reducing inflammation in the airways and lungs, which improves asthma symptoms and decreases the frequency and severity of asthma attacks.
Asmanex Powder Inhaler can be used as a long-acting inhaler to function as a prophylactic treatment and is not intended to mitigate the symptoms of asthma attacks. Consistent, long-term use of this medication is required to manage asthma symptoms effectively.
Uses and Dosage
Asmanex Twisthaler is a dry powder inhaler that is administered orally. To use the Asmanex inhaler, follow the directions provided by your healthcare professional. The instructions may vary depending on the specific type of inhaler, carefully read and understand the instructions.
To use the Asmanex Twisthaler, which is a dry powder inhaler, follow these steps:
- Hold the inhaler upright with one hand and twist the cap in a counterclockwise direction until it clicks and stops. You should see the dose counter decrease by one number.
- Breathe out completely.
- Bring the inhaler mouthpiece to your lips and take a deep breath in through your mouth. Do this quickly and deeply as you are inhaling the powder.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth, hold your breath for 10 seconds or as long as possible, and then breathe out slowly.
- Close the inhaler by twisting the cap back to its original position, clockwise until it clicks.
- Rinse your mouth with water and spit it out after every use to prevent possible fungal infections.
The recommended doses for mometasone vary depending on the medical condition being treated. Here are the relevant dosage recommendations: in general. To properly control asthma, it is recommended to use the Asmanex Powder Inhaler once daily at the same time(s) for each inhalation. To achieve the best results, take Asmanex in the evenings. If you use a bronchodilator inhaler alongside Asmanex, take Asmanex several minutes after using your bronchodilator inhaler. It is crucial to follow your doctor’s prescribed dosage and not exceed it.
Common Side Effects of Asmanex (Mometasone Furoate):
- Blocked nose
- Dry mouth or throat
- Ear pain
- Excessive saliva secretions
- Inflammation of the nose or allergy symptoms
- Nose bleeds
- Painful or burning feeling of the tongue
- Red or itchy eyes
- Runny nose
- Swollen, sore, irritated or inflamed throat
- Symptoms before menstruation
Serious Side Effects of Asmanex (Mometasone Furoate):
- Allergic reactions
- Chest pain
- Easy fractures
- Excessive bleeding
- Eye pain
- Heart palpitations
- Irregular uterine bleeding
- Joint pain
- Liver problems (dark urine, fatigue, loss of appetite, jaundice)
- Low blood pressure
- Thrush (white patches in the mouth, sore throat)
- Vision changes
- Worsening asthma attacks
Form and strength
Asmanex (Mometasone Furoate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Asmanex: Powder Inhaler
- 100 mcg
- 200 mcg
- 400 mcg
- Asmanex may increase the risk of pneumonia or other respiratory infections, especially in patients with COPD.
- Patients with active or quiescent infections of the respiratory tract should use inhaled corticosteroids with caution.
- Asmanex can cause adrenal suppression and hypocorticism, especially if used in high doses.
- Long-term use of inhaled corticosteroids may increase the risk of osteoporosis, glaucoma, and cataracts.
- Patients should avoid exposure to measles and chickenpox while using Asmanex, as they may develop a more severe or even fatal form of the disease due to the weakened immune system.
- Asmanex should be used with caution in patients with liver disease, as it may affect the metabolism and elimination of the drug.
- Asmanex should be used with caution in patients with diabetes or a history of tuberculosis.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Asmanex Twisthaler be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
The safety of Asmanex Twisthaler during pregnancy or breastfeeding is not known. Patients should consult with a healthcare provider before using this medication during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Can Asmanex Twisthaler be used to treat acute asthma symptoms or bronchospasm?
No, Asmanex Twisthaler is not a rescue inhaler and should not be used to treat acute asthma symptoms or bronchospasm. Patients should have a separate inhaler for these purposes.
Can Asmanex Twisthaler be used by children?
Yes, Asmanex Twisthaler has been approved for use in children aged 4 years and older with asthma.
Can Asmanex Twisthaler be used with other medications?
Asmanex Twisthaler may interact with certain medications, such as ritonavir, ketoconazole, and clarithromycin. Patients should inform their healthcare provider of all medications they are taking before starting Asmanex Twisthaler.