Table of contents:
Anafranil SR is a tricyclic antidepressant used for the treatment of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and some other psychiatric disorders. Clomipramine belongs to a class of medications called tricyclic antidepressants.
Clomipramine works by affecting the balance of certain natural substances in the brain, including serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. It increases the availability of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, which may help to regulate mood and reduce the symptoms of conditions such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
Anafranil SR is sustained-release formulation of the antidepressant medication clomipramine. The sustained-release formulation is designed to release the medication slowly over a period of time, which can help maintain a more consistent level of the drug in the body and reduce the frequency of dosing.
Use and Dosage
Anafranil SR is available in tablet form, and you should take them at the prescribed times as instructed by your doctor. The label on the medication will inform you of how many tablets to take and how often. If the label is unclear, or if you are unsure about how to take the medication, consult with your doctor or pharmacist. Swallow the tablets with a glass of water.
Do not discontinue taking the medication just because you do not feel any improvement in your condition. It may take up to four weeks for the tablets to take effect, and you should continue taking them until your doctor advises you to stop.
If you forget to take a dose, take the next dose at the usual time, and do not take a double dose. If you accidentally take too many Anafranil SR tablets, consult your doctor right away, or go to the nearest hospital casualty department.
Remember to follow the specific instructions of your doctor and seek any necessary guidance for taking Anafranil SR safely and effectively.
Common Side Effects of Anafranil SR (Clomipramine):
- Change in appetite or weight
- Decreased memory or concentration
- Decreased sexual ability
- Dry mouth
- Stuffy nose
Serious Side Effects of Anafranil SR (Clomipramine):
- Believing things that are not true
- Difficulty breathing or fast breathing
- Difficulty urinating or loss of bladder control
- Fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeat
- Hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist)
- Severe muscle stiffness
- Sore throat, fever, and other signs of infection
- Uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Forms and Strength
Anafranil SR (Clomipramine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Anafranil SR: ER Tablet
- 75 mg
Clomipramine: ER Tablet
- 75 mg
- Antidepressant medications, including clomipramine, may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults.
- Clomipramine may interact with a variety of other medications, including other antidepressants, anticholinergic drugs, and medications that affect liver enzymes. Talk to a doctor or pharmacist about any other medications or supplements being taken before starting clomipramine.
- Clomipramine may cause drowsiness or impair the ability to drive or operate machinery. Avoid these activities until the individual knows how the medication affects them.
- The use of clomipramine should be avoided or closely monitored in individuals with a history of seizures or other conditions that may lower the seizure threshold.
- Clomipramine may cause changes in heart rhythm, particularly in individuals with heart disease. Individuals with a history of heart disease should be closely monitored while taking clomipramine.
- Clomipramine may cause dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention, and other anticholinergic side effects. These side effects can be especially problematic in older adults.
- Clomipramine is not recommended during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, as it may harm the fetus or nursing infant.
- Clomipramine may cause changes in blood pressure, particularly in individuals with hypertension. Blood pressure should be closely monitored while taking clomipramine.
- Clomipramine should not be taken with alcohol or other substances that can cause drowsiness or impair cognitive function.
- Clomipramine may cause weight gain, particularly in the long-term. Monitor weight closely while taking clomipramine.
- Clomipramine may cause skin rash or other allergic reactions in some individuals.
- Clomipramine may cause increased sweating.
- Clomipramine may cause blurred vision or other visual disturbances.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Anafranil SR cause weight gain?
Weight gain is a known side effect of Anafranil SR, particularly with long-term use.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Anafranil SR?
If a dose of Anafranil SR is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible. If it is close to the time for the next dose, the missed dose should be skipped, and the regular dosing schedule resumed.
Can Anafranil SR be stopped suddenly?
Abruptly stopping Anafranil SR can cause withdrawal symptoms, including nausea, headache, and irritability. Talk to a doctor before stopping the medication.
How long should I take Anafranil SR?
The duration of treatment with Anafranil SR may vary depending on the individual and the condition being treated. Continue taking the medication as directed by a doctor and to not stop taking it without medical guidance.
It's important to purchase Anafranil SR from verified Canadian pharmacy.