Table of contents:
Zaditor is an antihistamine medication indicated to relieve the symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis, including itching, redness, and watering. The active ingredient in Zaditor is ketotifen fumarate, which is an antihistamine that works by blocking the release of histamine in the body.
Zaditor is available in Prescription and is intended for use by adults and children ages 3 and older. It typically provides relief for up to 12 hours with just one drop and can be used as needed throughout the day. Note that Zaditor is not intended for use by individuals who are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Uses and Dosage
Apply 1 drop of Zaditor to the affected eye(s) as directed by the package instructions or your doctor, usually twice a day (every 8 to 12 hours). Dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment.
Use it regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same times each day. Continue to use Ketotifen as prescribed until pollen season is over or you are no longer exposed to the allergic substance, even when allergic symptoms disappear or improve.
To properly apply the drops, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands first to avoid contamination.
- Tilt your head back and look upward.
- Pull down your lower eyelid to create a small pouch.
- Hold the dropper directly over the eye and apply one drop to the lower eyelid.
- Close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes and gently press your finger near the nose to prevent the medication from draining out.
- Do not rinse the dropper. Securely close the bottle with its cap.
Use the drops regularly at the same times each day until pollen season is over or you are no longer exposed to the allergen, even if your allergy symptoms improve. If your condition lasts or gets worse, if you develop new symptoms, or if you think you have a serious medical problem, get medical help right away. If you are treating yourself with nonprescription ketotifen, consult your doctor if your itching worsens or lasts more than 72 hours. You may need a different medication.
Common Side Effects of Zaditor (Ketotifen):
- Dryness of the eyes
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Mild burning, stinging, or eye irritation
Serious Side Effects of Zaditor (Ketotifen):
- Drainage from the eye
- Eye pain
- Eyelid swelling
- Other signs of infection
- Redness in the eye
- Severe itching of the eyes worse than before using the medication
- Vision changes and
Form and strength
Zaditor (Ketotifen) is available in the following forms and strength:
Zaditor: Eye Drops
- Caution should be exercised when administering Zaditor to a nursing mother.
- Zaditor is contraindicated in persons with a known hypersensitivity to any component of the product.
- Zaditor should be used with caution in patients with liver or kidney disease.
- There is a possible risk of infection if the dropper comes into contact with the eye. Consult with a healthcare provider for a complete list of precautions and possible side effects before using Zaditor or any medication.
- Zaditor may cause drowsiness or blurred vision, which may impair your thinking or reactions. Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how Ketotifen will affect you.
- Zaditor should not be used to treat contact lens-related irritation.
- Zaditor may interact with other medications, including benzodiazepines, CNS depressants, and MAO inhibitors.
- Zaditor may not be safe for use during pregnancy. As with any medication, discuss your medical history and any current medications with your healthcare provider before using Zaditor. They can provide guidance on safe and effective use, and help you determine if Ketotifen is appropriate for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Zaditor be used for contact lens-related irritation?
No, Zaditor should not be used to treat contact lens-related irritation.
How long Zaditor (Ketotifen) should be used?
Zaditor should be used exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by a healthcare provider. The duration of use depends on the severity of the condition and may vary from a few days to several weeks. Follow the instructions provided by a healthcare provider.
Can Zaditor (Ketotifen) be used in children?
Yes, Zaditor (Ketotifen) can be used in children over the age of 3 years, but caution should be exercised in younger children. Consult with a healthcare provider before using Zaditor in children.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Zaditor?
If you miss a dose of Zaditor, use it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
It's important to purchase Zaditor from verified Canadian pharmacy.