Table of contents:
Zaditen Syrup is an oral medication used to treat atopic asthma in children. It can be used in combination with other medications to treat mild allergic asthma in children.
Zaditen contains the active ingredient ketotifen, which is an anti-inflammatory medicine that works by blocking the allergic response and reducing inflammation. A patient with rare hereditary problems of fructose should not take it as it may cause gastrointestinal symptoms.
Use and Dosage
Zaditen Syrup is an oral medication that usually should be taken with a meal or a snack to help reduce stomach upset.
Shake the bottle well before using to ensure it is properly mixed. Avoid using a regular tablespoon, instead use a special measuring spoon or a measuring cup to ensure an accurate dose. Measure the required dose with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or dropper.
in general, the usual dose of Zaditen Syrup for asthma in adults and children 3 years of age and older is 1 milligram (mg) (1 tablet or 5 milliliters (mL) of syrup) two times a day, taken with or without food, as advised by the healthcare provider.
Do not suddenly stop taking Zaditen Syrup without consulting your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Zaditen Syrup (Ketotifen Fumarate):
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth
- Increased appetite
- Sleep disturbances (trouble sleeping)
- Slight dizziness
- Weight gain
Serious side effects of zaditen syrup (ketotifen fumarate):
- Sudden lack of energy, fever, cough, or sore throat
- Puffy eyelid(s)
- Respiratory infections
- Skin rashes and itching
- Signs of a severe skin reaction such as: blistering, peeling, a rash covering a large area of the body, a rash that spreads quickly, or a rash combined with fever or discomfort
Forms and Strengths
Zaditen Syrup (Ketotifen Fumarate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Zaditen Syrup: Oral Solution
- Patients with rare hereditary problems of fructose should not take Zaditen Syrup as it may contain maltitol liquid (hydrogenated glucose syrup) and may cause gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Zaditen Syrup is not recommended for use in children under the age of 3 years.
- Use caution if you have liver or kidney problems as the dose may need to be adjusted.
- Zaditen Syrup may cause dizziness or drowsiness, so avoid activities that require mental alertness until you know how the medication affects you.
- Talk to your doctor before taking Zaditen Syrup if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist about all the medications you are taking, including prescription, over the counter, vitamins, and herbal supplements, as Zaditen Syrup may interact with other medications.
- If you experience any unusual or severe symptoms after taking Zaditen Syrup, such as difficulty breathing or a rash, seek medical attention immediately.
- Zaditen Syrup may cause blurred vision or other vision changes, so avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how the medication affects you.
- Zaditen Syrup may increase the risk of seizures in some people, especially those with a history of seizures or other neurological conditions.
- Zaditen Syrup can interact with alcohol and may increase the risk of side effects such as drowsiness or dizziness.
- If you have any medical conditions or allergies, talk to your doctor before taking Zaditen Syrup, as it may not be appropriate for you.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose of Zaditen Syrup without consulting your doctor, as it may increase the risk of side effects.
- If you are taking any other medications for asthma or allergies, talk to your doctor before taking Zaditen Syrup to avoid the risk of drug interactions.
- Keep Zaditen Syrup out of the reach of children and store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How is Zaditen Syrup eliminated from the body?
Ketotifen fumarate, the active ingredient in Zaditen Syrup, is eliminated biphasically; there are two phases of elimination from the body.
Is Zaditen Syrup safe for patients with benzoate sensitivity?
Zaditen Syrup should not be administered to patients sensitive to benzoate.
How should I store Zaditen Syrup?
Keep Zaditen Syrup out of the reach of children and store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
It's important to purchase Zaditen Syrup from verified Canadian pharmacy.