Table of contents:
Vraylar (cariprazine) is a prescription medication used to treat a variety of mental/mood disorders, including bipolar disorder, bipolar depression, schizophrenia, and major depressive disorder (MDD) when used with antidepressant medication. Vraylar contains the active ingredient cariprazine. Cariprazine does not come in a generic version. It belongs to a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics and works by affecting certain chemicals in the brain.
VRAYLAR can be indicated along with antidepressant medicines to treat major depressive disorder (MDD). It can be used for short-term (acute) treatment of manic or mixed episodes that happen with bipolar I disorder.
Uses and Dosage
Vraylar comes in tablet form and is taken by mouth with or without food, as directed by a doctor, typically once daily. To minimize the risk of side effects, doctors may start patients on a low dose and gradually increase it. Patients should follow their doctor's instructions carefully and use the medication regularly to get the most benefit. Do not increase the dose or use the drug more frequently or for longer than prescribed, as this can increase the risk of side effects. Patients should tell their doctor if their condition does not improve or gets worse.
The starting dose of Vraylar varies depending on the condition being treated. For the treatment of schizophrenia or bipolar mania, the starting dose is 1.5 mg once daily. For the treatment of bipolar depression, the recommended starting dose is 1.5 mg once daily, which can be increased to 3 mg once daily after one week.
Common Side Effects of Vraylar (Cariprazine):
Serious Side Effects of Vraylar (Cariprazine):
- Allergic reaction
- Changes in your blood test results, including:
- Increased risk of death in older adults with psychosis related to dementia
- Increased risk of heatstroke or overheating
- Low white blood cell count
- Orthostatic hypotension (a drop in blood pressure upon standing or sitting up)
- movement problems or dizziness
- Risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors
- Tardive dyskinesia (random movements of your tongue, head, neck, legs, or arms that you cannot control)
- Trouble swallowing
Form and strength
Vraylar (Cariprazine) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 1.5 mg
- 3 mg
- 4.5 mg
- 6 mg
- Vraylar has a boxed warning for an increased risk of death in older adults with psychosis.
- This medication should not be used to treat behavioral problems in older adults with dementia
- Vraylar may have additional side effects or warnings that are not listed in the sources provided, so patients should talk to their doctor or mental health provider about any concerns or questions they may have.
- Take Vraylar as soon as you can but skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take two doses at one time.
- Cariprazine is not approved for use in older adults with dementia-related psychosis, as elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis treated with antipsychotic drugs are at an increased risk of death.
- Elderly people with dementia-related psychosis (having lost touch with reality due to confusion and memory loss) taking medicines like Vraylar are at an increased risk of death. Cariprazine is not approved for treating patients with dementia-related psychosis.
- The risk of Cariprazine and antidepressants increasing suicidal thoughts or actions is to closely monitor patients who are taking these medications and to carefully adjust their dosage as needed under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Vraylar to work?
Vraylar takes time to work, and patients often see improvement within a few weeks. Symptoms tend to continue to improve the longer the medication is taken.
Can Vraylar be taken during pregnancy?
There is not enough information available to determine the safety of Vraylar during pregnancy. It should only be used during pregnancy if the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks to the fetus.
Can Vraylar be taken with other medications?
Your healthcare provider can help determine if Vraylar can be taken with other medications you are currently taking.
It's important to purchase Vraylar from verified Canadian pharmacy.