Table of contents:
Vasotec generically known as Enalapril is a medication used to treat high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. It belongs to an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, which allows the body to maintain healthy blood pressure levels. It works by blocking the production of a chemical that tightens blood vessels to lower blood pressure, prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems.
Enalapril is used to treat a condition affecting the ventricles, the two lower chambers of the heart that are responsible for pumping blood out of the heart. This condition can limit the heart's ability to circulate blood efficiently throughout the body, and enalapril can help improve heart function in these cases. Vasotec is generally well tolerated, with few side effects and can be taken in combination with other medications.
Uses and Dosage
To use Vasotec (Enalapril) tablet, take it orally once or twice daily as directed by your doctor. You can take it with or without food. Enalapril can be taken with or without food, but it is generally recommended to take it on an empty stomach to improve its absorption.
The doctor will determine the dosage based on your medical condition and response to treatment, and for children, based on weight. Make sure to take the medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. Even if you feel well, continue taking Vasotec as prescribed by your doctor because most people with high blood pressure do not experience symptoms. If you have any questions or concerns, discuss them with your doctor.
The recommended dosage may vary based on individual needs and medical history, but typically ranges from 2.5 mg to 40 mg per day, taken in one or two doses.
- For high blood pressure, the typical dosing for enalapril (Vasotec) starts with 5 mg once a day by mouth. The dosage may be increased by your doctor every few weeks if needed to further lower your blood pressure. The usual dosage range is between 10 mg to 40 mg orally per day.
- For heart failure, the starting dose is typically 2.5 mg twice daily by mouth, with the usual dosing range between 10 mg to 20 mg orally two times a day. Your doctor will advise you on whether to take enalapril once or twice daily.
Common Side Effects of Vasotec (Enalapril):
- Dry cough
- Low blood pressure
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Skin rash
Serious Side Effects of Vasotec (Enalapril):
- Blood in your urine
- Change in the amount of urine you pass
- Inability to pass urine
- Irregular heartbeat
- Numbness or tingling
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Swelling (angioedema) of your face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- Tightness in your chest
- Trouble breathing or swallowing
- Weight gain
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
Form and strength
Vasotec (Enalapril) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 5 mg
- 20 mg
- 2.5 mg
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
- 20 mg
- Enalapril can cause or worsen kidney problems, particularly in patients with pre-existing kidney disease.
- Enalapril is known to cause a dry cough in some patients. If you experience a persistent cough while taking enalapril, consult your healthcare provider.
- Vasotec is not recommended during pregnancy, particularly during the second and third trimesters, as it may harm the developing fetus.
- Enalapril should not be stopped suddenly, as this may cause a sudden increase in blood pressure. Consult your healthcare provider before stopping enalapril or making any changes to your medication regimen.
- If you are pregnant, you should discontinue Vasotec as soon as possible, as it can cause injury and death to the developing fetus when used during pregnancy.
- Enalapril may interact with certain herbal supplements, particularly those with diuretic or blood pressure-lowering effects. Consult your healthcare provider before taking any herbal supplements while on enalapril.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the main action of antihypertensive agents?
The main action of antihypertensive agents is to alter the blood pressure to a more desirable level, generally by relaxing blood vessels.
Can enalapril be used by children?
Children can use enalapril, but they are more sensitive to its effects on their blood pressure and are at higher risk of severe side effects.
How should enalapril be stored?
Enalapril should be kept out of the reach of children and should not be used after the expiration date on the bottle or package.
How long does it take for enalapril to start working?
Enalapril usually takes about 1-2 hours to start working, with full effect within 6 hours.
Can enalapril interact with other medications?
Yes, enalapril can potentially interact with other medications, particularly potassium supplements, diuretics, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
It's important to purchase Vasotec from verified Canadian pharmacy.