Table of contents:
Topicort ointment is a topical medication used topically to help reduce swelling, redness, and itching associated with various skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, and allergic reactions.
Topicort contains the active ingredient desoximetasone, which is a synthetic corticosteroid. It works by suppressing the immune system, which helps to reduce inflammation and other symptoms associated with these skin conditions. Specifically, it reduces the actions of chemicals or substances in the body that cause inflammation, thereby helping to relieve symptoms.
Use and Dosage
Topicort Ointment should only be used on the skin and should not be used on the face, groin, or underarms unless directed to do so by your doctor. Before applying the medication, wash and dry your hands. You should also clean and dry the affected area thoroughly. Apply a thin film of the medication to the affected area and gently rub it in, as directed by your doctor. Typically, you would apply the medication twice daily. However, follow the exact directions provided by your doctor.
Do not cover, bandage, or wrap the area unless directed to do so by your doctor. After applying the medication, wash your hands unless you are using the medication to treat your hands.
When applying Topicort Ointment near the eyes, be sure to avoid getting the medication in your eyes as this could worsen or cause glaucoma. Additionally, you should avoid getting the medication in your nose or mouth. If you do happen to get the medication in your eyes, nose, or mouth, rinse with plenty of water.
Lastly, you should only use Topicort Ointment for the condition that it was prescribed for, and you should not use it for longer than prescribed. If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to discuss them with your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Topicort Ointment (Desoximetasone):
- Burning, irritation, itching, or dryness of treated skin
- Color changes of treated skin
- Crusting of treated skin
- Increased hair growth
- Irritation around your mouth
- Redness or crusting around your hair follicles
- Stretch marks
- White or "pruned" appearance of the skin
Serious Side Effects of Topicort Ointment (Desoximetasone):
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty breathing
- Discolored skin
- Dry mouth
- Eye pain
- Fruity breath odor
- Increased body hair
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Menstrual changes
- Mood changes
- Muscle weakness
- Redness warmth swelling oozing or severe irritation of any treated skin
- Seeing halos around lights
- Sexual changes
- Slow wound healing
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
- Thinning skin
- Tunnel vision
- Weight gain (especially in your face or your upper back and torso)
- Worsening of your skin condition
Forms and Strength
Topicort Ointment (Desoximetasone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Topicort Ointment: Ointment
- Do not use the medication on large areas of the body or for prolonged periods of time without consulting a healthcare provider, as this may increase the risk of side effects.
- Avoid getting the medication in your eyes, nose, or mouth, and do not apply it to open wounds or infected areas of the skin.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you have a history of allergies or any other medical conditions, as this may affect the use of desoximetasone.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant, as the safety of desoximetasone during pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been established.
- Do not use desoximetasone on children under 12 years old without consulting a healthcare provider.
- If you experience severe or persistent side effects such as skin thinning, discoloration, or stretch marks, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
- Avoid using desoximetasone on areas of the skin where it is broken, infected, or irritated.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage or dressing unless directed by a healthcare provider.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you are taking any other medications, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs, as these may interact with desoximetasone.
- Contact your healthcare provider if you experience any new or worsening symptoms after using desoximetasone, including skin rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Use desoximetasone with caution if you have a weakened immune system or a history of tuberculosis, as it may increase the risk of infection.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use Topicort Ointment if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
Talk to your healthcare provider before using Topicort Ointment if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
How long should I use Topicort Ointment?
Use Topicort Ointment for the duration recommended by your healthcare provider. Do not use it for longer than prescribed or more frequently than instructed.
How should I store Topicort Ointment?
Store Topicort Ointment at room temperature between 68-77 degrees Fahrenheit (20-25 degrees Celsius), away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
What should I do if I accidentally swallow Topicort Ointment?
Contact your healthcare provider or poison control center right away if you accidentally swallow Topicort Ointment.
Can I use Topicort Ointment on my face?
Yes, you can use Topicort Ointment on your face, but you should be careful to avoid getting the ointment in your eyes or mouth.
It's important to purchase Topicort Ointment from verified Canadian pharmacy.