Table of contents:
Synvisc-One is a type of viscosupplement injection used for the treatment of pain in osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee in patients who have failed to respond adequately to conservative non-pharmacologic therapy and simple analgesics, such as acetaminophen. Synvisc-One is derived from a natural substance called hylan G-F 20, which is similar to the fluid that surrounds the joints in your body.
Synvisc-One is administered as a single intra-articular injection and supplements the fluid in your knee to help lubricate and cushion the joint, providing pain relief for up to six months. Synvisc-One should not be injected into the knees of patients having knee joint infections or skin diseases or infections around the injection site.
Uses and Dosage
Synvisc-One is supplied in a pre-filled glass syringe with a total volume of 10 mL. The syringe contains three doses (48 mg) of hylan G-F 20 to take together as single dosages, a type of sodium hyaluronate. Hylan G-F 20 is administered by a licensed healthcare provider and is intended to be given in a single dose. The contents of the syringe are sterile and nonpyrogenic, meaning that they are free from bacteria and other harmful substances that could cause an infection or a fever.
To avoid increased side effects, the injection should not be given into a vein or artery. Patients should also avoid any strenuous activities that put pressure on the knee joint for at least 48 hours after receiving the injection, such as jogging, tennis, heavy lifting, or standing for more than an hour.
After the injection, initial pain and swelling in the knee joint are normal, and if it continues or worsens, patients should consult their doctor immediately.
Common Side Effects of Synvisc-One (Hylan GF 20):
- Itching or skin irritation around the knee
- Muscle pain
- Numbness or tingly feeling
- Tired feeling
- Trouble walking
- Warmth, pain, stiffness, swelling, or puffiness where the medicine was injected
Serious Side Effects of Synvisc-One (Hylan GF 20):
- Severe pain
- Swelling around the knee
Form and Strength
Synvisc-One (Hylan GF 20) is available in the following forms and strengths:
Synvisc-One: Injection Kit
- Allergic reactions: Patients who are allergic to hylan G-F 20, hyaluronan (a natural substance found in joints and connective tissues), eggs, or any other components of the injection should not receive Synvisc-One.
- Infections: Synvisc-One should not be injected in the knee joint of patients with a knee joint infection or a skin disease or infection at the injection site.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: It is not known if Synvisc-One is safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Therefore, it should be used with caution in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Bleeding disorders: Synvisc-One may increase the risk of bleeding in patients with bleeding disorders, such as hemophilia or a history of easy bruising.
- Interactions with other medications: The safety and effectiveness of Synvisc-One have not been established in combination with other intra-articular knee treatments. Therefore, it should be used with caution in patients who have received other knee injections or treatments.
- Knee surgery: Patients who have recently undergone knee surgery or have a history of knee surgery should discuss the risks and benefits of Synvisc-One injection with their doctor.
- Arthritis type: Synvisc-One is specifically indicated for the treatment of pain in osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee. It should not be used for other types of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Children: The safety and effectiveness of Synvisc-One have not been established in children. Therefore, it should only be used in pediatric patients if deemed necessary and appropriate by a healthcare provider.
- Driving and operating machinery: Synvisc-One may cause dizziness or blurred vision in some patients. Therefore, patients should be advised to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery until they know how the injection will affect them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How many times can you get Synvisc injections?
Synvisc is injected directly into your knee joint. The Synvisc brand of hylan G-F 20 is usually given once every week until you have received 3 injections.
What should I do if I missed a dose of Synvisc One (Hylan G-F 20)?
Tell your doctor for instructions if you miss an appointment for your hylan G-F 20 injection.
What happens if I overdose on Synvisc One (Hylan G-F 20)?
Since this medicine is given by a healthcare professional in a medical setting, an overdose is unlikely to occur.
What drugs and food should I avoid while taking Synvisc One (Hylan G-F 20)?
For at least 48 hours after your injection, avoid jogging, strenuous activity, or high-impact sports such as soccer or tennis. Also avoid weight-bearing activity or standing for longer than 1 hour at a time. Ask your doctor how long to wait before you resume these activities.
It's important to purchase Synvisc-One from verified Canadian pharmacy.