Table of contents:
Surgam SR is a prescription medication used to treat pain and inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. It is usually prescribed for chronic pain and inflammation associated with certain conditions. It should not be used to treat acute pain, as it is a sustained-release medication.
Surgam contains tiaprofenic acid, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins, which are substances in the body that cause pain and inflammation.
The sustained-release mechanism of Surgam allows for extended pain relief over a longer period compared to the immediate-release form of the medication.
Use and Dosage
Surgam SR (Sustained Release) comes in the form of a tablet to take by mouth usually taken as a single dose once daily, with or after food. Swallow the tablet whole with water once daily. Do not chew or crush the tablet, as it is a sustained-release medication that may be damaged.
The dose of Surgam SR may be adjusted based on the severity of the condition being treated. Follow the dosing instructions provided by your healthcare provider and do not take more than the prescribed amount. The dose may be adjusted based on the severity of the condition being treated.
If you miss a dose of Surgam SR, take it as soon as you remember. If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
Common Side Effects of Surgam SR (Tiaprofenic Acid):
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Surgam SR (Tiaprofenic Acid):
- Fluid retention
- Hematuria or cystitis may occur
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Occurrence of serious infectious complications in the skin and soft tissue during varicella
- Severe cases have been exceptionally reported when treatment was continued
- These disorders are reversible upon discontinuation of treatment.
- Urinary (crystalline, dysuria, and urinary frequency)
Forms and Strength
Surgam SR (Tiaprofenic Acid) is available in the following forms and strength:
Tiaprofenic Acid: Tablet
- Risk of stomach ulcers and bleeding: Tiaprofenic acid is an NSAID, which means it can increase the risk of stomach ulcers and bleeding. This risk may be higher in people who are older, have a history of stomach ulcers, or are taking certain other medications such as corticosteroids or blood thinners.
- Cardiovascular risk: Tiaprofenic acid may also increase the risk of heart attack or stroke, especially when taken at high doses or for extended periods of time.
- Kidney damage: Tiaprofenic acid can cause kidney damage, especially in people who already have kidney problems.
- Respiratory issues: Tiaprofenic acid may cause or worsen respiratory problems, such as asthma.
- Drug interactions: Tiaprofenic acid can interact with other medications, including blood thinners, certain antidepressants, and certain medications used to treat high blood pressure.
- Allergic reactions: Tiaprofenic acid can cause allergic reactions in some people. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Liver damage: Tiaprofenic acid can cause liver damage, especially in people who already have liver disease.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Tiaprofenic acid should not be taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding, as it may harm the developing fetus or nursing baby.
- Sun sensitivity: Tiaprofenic acid can increase sensitivity to sunlight, which may increase the risk of sunburn or skin rash.
- Bleeding disorders: Tiaprofenic acid may increase the risk of bleeding in some people, especially those with bleeding disorders or who are taking blood thinning medications.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Surgam SR safe for everyone to take?
Surgam SR may not be safe for everyone to take, especially those with a history of gastrointestinal bleeding, renal or hepatic impairment, or asthma.
Is Surgam SR addictive?
It is not known to be addictive.
Can Surgam SR cause allergic reactions?
In rare cases, Surgam SR may cause allergic reactions such as hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face or throat.
How long does it take for Surgam SR to start working?
The onset of action for Surgam SR may vary depending on the individual and the condition being treated. It may take several days to weeks for the medication to reach its full effectiveness.
It's important to purchase Surgam SR from verified Canadian pharmacy.