Table of contents:
Suprep Bowel Prep Kit is an oral solution used to cleanse the colon before a colonoscopy. It is indicated for cleansing of the colon as a preparation for colonoscopy in adult and pediatric patients 12 years of age and older. Suprep Bowel Prep Kit works as an osmotic laxative by drawing large amounts of water into the colon, which softens the stool and makes it easier to pass.
The solution contains three active ingredients: sodium sulfate, potassium sulfate, and magnesium sulfate. These ingredients work together to increase the amount of water your intestine absorbs, which causes watery bowel movements and helps clear stool from the intestines. This results in a clear colon that is ready for a colonoscopy.
Use and Dosage
Your doctor may have given you special diet instructions that you should follow before consuming Suprep Bowel Prep Kit. Mix the contents of the package in the container with cool water, drink the mixture, and follow it up with two more containers of water over the next hour. Make sure to consume the entire mixture and water required at least two hours before your procedure, or as directed. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking as much clear liquid as possible before, during, and after taking this medication, unless directed otherwise.
Here are general instructions on how to use the Suprep Bowel Prep Kit based on available search results: The day before your colonoscopy, in the evening complete Steps 1 through 4 using one 6-ounce bottle of Suprep liquid and 16 oz of cool water:
- Pour one 6-ounce bottle of Suprep liquid into the mixing container.
- Add cool water to the 16 oz line on the mixing container and mix it.
- Drink ALL liquid in the mixing container.
- Drink two (2) additional 16 oz glasses of water over the next hour.
- Refrain from consuming any food or drink at least two (2) hours before the procedure in the morning. Repeat Steps 1 through 4 using the second bottle.
- Complete preparation at least 1 hour before your colonoscopy.
- Follow any additional instructions given to you by your healthcare provide
Do not take any other medications by mouth within 1 hour of starting to drink the mixture. If you are unsure when to take your other medications, consult with your doctor or pharmacist.
Use Suprep Bowel Prep Kit as directed by your doctor, generally in two doses. The first dose should be taken in the evening before the colonoscopy and the second dose the following morning. Your age and medical condition will determine the dosage.
Common Side Effects of Suprep Bowel Kit (Sodium sulfate/Potassium sulfate/Magnesium sulfate):
- Mild bloating
- Stomach pain or discomfort
Serious Side Effects of Suprep Bowel Kit (Sodium sulfate/Potassium sulfate/Magnesium sulfate):
- A headache and dizziness
- A seizure
- Irregular heartbeats
- Little or no urination
- Mouth sores
- Painful bloating or stomach cramps
- Severe nausea or vomiting
- Trouble drinking liquids
- Worsening gout symptoms (joint pain, redness, or swelling).
Forms and Strength
Suprep Bowel Kit (Sodium sulfate/Potassium sulfate/Magnesium sulfate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Suprep Bowel Kit: Oral Solution
- Use caution when prescribing Suprep Bowel Prep Kit for patients with certain medical conditions, such as kidney or heart problems.
- There have been rare reports of serious arrhythmias associated with the use of ionic osmotic laxative products for bowel preparation
- Use caution when using Suprep Bowel Prep Kit. Ensure adequate hydration before and after taking Suprep Bowel Prep Kit to prevent electrolyte imbalances.
- Suprep Bowel Prep Kit may interact with other medications, so patients should inform their doctor of all the products they use, including prescription and non-prescription drugs and herbal supplements.
- Suprep Bowel Prep Kit may cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and dehydration, so patients should be monitored closely by their doctor.
- Suprep Bowel Prep Kit is not recommended for use in patients under 12 years of age.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consult with their doctor before using Suprep Bowel Prep Kit.
- Patients with known or suspected gastrointestinal obstruction, including bowel perforation, should not use Suprep Bowel Prep Kit.
- Use caution when prescribing Suprep Bowel Prep Kit for patients with severe ulcerative colitis.
- Suprep Bowel Prep Kit may cause dizziness and low blood pressurs, so patients should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery after taking it.
- Patients with phenylketonuria (PKU) should be aware that Suprep contains phenylalanine.
- Suprep Bowel Prep Kit may cause a false-positive result for urine drug testing, so patients should inform their healthcare provider of any medications or conditions that may affect the test.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Suprep Bowel Prep Kit to work?
Suprep Bowel Prep Kit typically starts working within 1 hour after you take it. Follow the recommended dosage and instructions provided by your doctor.
Can I eat or drink anything while using Suprep Bowel Prep Kit?
You should only drink clear fluids while using the Suprep Bowel Prep Kit. Solid foods should be avoided to ensure that the bowel is thoroughly cleansed before the procedure.
How often can I use Suprep Bowel Prep Kit?
You should only use Suprep Bowel Prep Kit as directed by your doctor for bowel cleansing before a procedure. It should not be used for routine constipation.
Is Suprep a laxative?
Yes, Suprep is an osmotic laxative that pulls water into your colon, leading to watery stool. This is meant to cleanse the colon before a colonoscopy in adults and children over 12 years of age.
It's important to purchase Suprep Bowel Kit from verified Canadian pharmacy.