Table of contents:
Rythmol SR is an oral medication used as a Class IC anti-arrhythmic to affect the way the heart beats and prevent serious irregular heartbeats such as paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia and symptomatic atrial fibrillation. It contains the active ingredient propafenone hydrochloride and is available in extended-release capsules for oral use. Propafenone is known as an anti-arrhythmic drug.
Rythmol SR works by blocking the activity of certain electrical signals in the heart that can cause an irregular heartbeat. Treating an irregular heartbeat can decrease the risk for blood clots, and this effect can reduce your risk of heart attack or stroke.
Use and Dosage
Rythmol SR capsules should be taken orally with or without food every 12 hours as prescribed by your doctor. Swallow the capsules whole and do not crush or chew them, as doing so can release all the drug at once and increase the risk of side effects.
Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while using Rythmol SR unless your doctor or pharmacist says you may do so safely. Grapefruit can increase the chance of side effects with Rythmol SR. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more details.
To ensure the medication's effectiveness, it should be taken regularly at the same times each day. Avoid consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice while using Rythmol SR, as it can increase the chances of experiencing side effects. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Common Side Effects of Rythmol SR (Propafenose Hcl):
- Metallic/salty taste in the mouth
Serious Side Effects of Rythmol SR (Propafenose Hcl):
- Faster/more irregular heartbeat
- Itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat)
- Severe dizziness
- Signs of infection (such as sore throat that doesn't go away, high fever, severe chills, weakness)
- Signs of liver problems (such as nausea/vomiting that doesn't stop, stomach/abdominal pain, yellowing eyes/skin, dark urine)
- Trouble breathing
- Worsening symptoms of heart failure (such as shortness of breath, swelling ankles/feet, unusual tiredness, unusual/sudden weight gain)
Forms and Strength
Rythmol SR (Propafenose Hcl) is available in the following forms and strength:
Rythmol SR: Extended-Release Capsule
- Patients with certain heart conditions (such as heart block or sick sinus syndrome) should use caution when taking this medication.
- Rythmol SR may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting, especially during the first few weeks of treatment or when the dose is increased.
- Rythmol SR may interact with other medications, including certain antidepressants, antifungals, and antibiotics. Inform your doctor of all medications you are taking.
- Rythmol SR may affect the way the heart beats and may cause or worsen certain heart rhythm problems. Close monitoring is necessary during treatment.
- Rythmol SR should not be used during pregnancy unless deemed necessary by a healthcare provider. Consult with a healthcare provider for specific cautions and considerations related to Rythmol SR use.
- It is not known if Rythmol SR passes into breast milk. Breastfeeding mothers should talk to their doctor before taking this medication.
- While taking Rythmol SR, avoid drinking alcohol, smoking, and using other medications or substances that may affect the heart. You should also inform your doctor if you experience any changes in your heart rhythm, or if you develop any new symptoms while taking this medication.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose of Rythmol SR?
If you miss a dose of Rythmol SR, you should take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose, you should skip.
Can Rythmol SR be used during pregnancy?
Rythmol SR is generally not recommended for use during pregnancy. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant before starting this medication.
Can Rythmol SR be used while breastfeeding?
It is not known if Rythmol SR passes into breast milk. Breastfeeding mothers should talk to their doctor before taking this medication.
How should Rythmol SR be stored?
Rythmol SR should be stored at room temperature (between 68- and 77-degrees Fahrenheit) in a tightly sealed container, away from moisture and heat.
What should I do if I overdose on Rythmol SR?
In case of an overdose of Rythmol SR, seek emergency medical attention immediately. Symptoms of an overdose may include dizziness, fainting, and a slow or irregular heartbeat.
It's important to purchase Rythmol SR from verified Canadian pharmacy.