Table of contents:
Vastarel MR is a prescription medication primarily used in the treatment and prophylaxis of angina pectoris, a condition characterized by chest pain caused by reduced blood flow to the heart muscle.
Vastarel MR contains an active ingredient called Trimetazidine hcl. Trimetazidine hcl works by improving the metabolism of the heart muscle and is believed to protect the heart against damage caused by various metabolic stressors, particularly those associated with ischemia (lack of oxygen).
Use and Dosage
Vastarel MR comes in the form of a modified-release tablet. Swallow the tablet whole and not chew it. The recommended dosage is one tablet of 35 mg twice a day, during meals in the morning and evening.
For patients with kidney problems or those over the age of 75, their doctor may adjust the recommended dose accordingly. However, for patients with severe kidney disease, Vastarel MR must not be used.
Follow the instructions of your doctor carefully, and do not stop taking Vastarel MR without consulting your doctor. The medication is primarily used in the treatment and prophylaxis of angina pectoris, a condition characterized by chest pain caused by reduced blood flow to the heart muscle.
Common Side Effects of Vastarel MR (Trimetazidine hcl):
- Feeling of weakness
- Feeling sick overall
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Vastarel MR (Trimetazidine hcl):
- Burning of the stomach or throat
- Changes in appetite
- Changes in vision
- Discomfort on exertion
- Heart palpitations
- Large drop in number of white blood cells
- Liver disease
- Muscle cramps
- Severe, red skin rash with blistering
- Sleep disorders (trouble sleeping or drowsiness)
- Swelling of your face, lips, mouth, tongue, or throat, which could cause trouble swallowing or breathing
Forms and Strength
Vastarel MR (Trimetazidine hcl) is available in the following forms and strength:
Vastarel MR: ER (Extended Release) Tablets
- 35 mg
Trimetazidine hcl: Tablets
- 35 mg
- Renal and hepatic impairment: Vastarel MR should be used with caution in patients with renal or hepatic dysfunction.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Vastarel MR should be used with caution during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The potential benefits and risks should be evaluated before use.
- Hypotension: Vastarel MR may cause a drop in blood pressure in some patients. Caution should be exercised when used in patients with hypotension.
- Elderly patients: Vastarel MR should be used with caution in elderly patients, and the dose should be adjusted appropriately.
- Parkinson’s disease: Vastarel MR should be avoided in patients with Parkinson’s disease due to the risk of exacerbating symptoms.
- Children: Vastarel MR is not recommended for use in children.
- Allergic reactions: Some patients may be allergic to Trimetazidine dihydrochloride. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include rash, itching, swelling of the face, tongue, or throat, difficulty breathing, or severe dizziness. If any of these symptoms occur, medical attention should be sought immediately.
- Diabetes: Vastarel MR should be used with caution in diabetic patients as it may affect the ability to sense low blood sugar levels.
- Driving and operating machinery: Vastarel MR may cause dizziness, blurred vision, and other side effects that may affect the ability to drive or operate machinery. Caution should be exercised when performing tasks that require alertness.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Vastarel MR be taken with other medications?
Vastarel MR may interact with certain medications, inform your doctor of all the medications you are taking before starting Vastarel MR. Your doctor can help determine if any interactions may occur.
Is Vastarel MR addictive?
Vastarel MR is not known to be addictive.
How long does it take for Vastarel MR to work?
The onset of action of Vastarel MR may take several weeks. Follow the instructions of your doctor carefully, and do not stop taking Vastarel MR without consulting your doctor.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Vastarel MR, take it as soon as you remember. If it is close to your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
Can Vastarel MR cause interactions with alcohol?
There are no known interactions between Vastarel MR and alcohol. However, limit or avoid alcohol consumption while taking any medications.
It's important to purchase Vastarel MR from verified Canadian pharmacy.