Table of contents:
Razadyne ER (generically known as galantamine hydrobromide) is a cholinesterase inhibitor that is used to treat mild to moderate dementia (memory loss and mental changes) which is a sign of Alzheimer's disease. It does not cure Alzheimer's disease, but it may improve memory, awareness, and the ability to perform daily functions.
Razadyne ER works by restoring the balance of certain natural substances (neurotransmitters) in the brain. It comes in extended-release capsules that are taken orally.
Use and Dosage
Razadyne ER capsules are an extended-release medication that should be taken orally with food as directed by your doctor. It may be taken once per day in the morning with breakfast on an empty stomach if needed, but drink plenty of fluids with galantamine. The capsules should be swallowed whole without being crushed or chewed, as doing so may destroy the long-acting nature of the drug and increase the risk of side effects.
The recommended starting dosage of Razadyne ER (galantamine) is 8 mg/day taken orally with food. After a minimum of 4 weeks, the dosage may be increased to the initial maintenance dose of 16 mg/day. The dosage should be gradually increased to the target amount to lower the risk of side effects, and the amount prescribed will be based on your response to therapy and medical condition.
If you stop taking the medication for several days, consult your doctor or pharmacist before restarting to reduce your dosage and then increase it gradually according to your doctor's instructions. Use Razadyne ER regularly to gain the most benefit from the medication. Do not discontinue or alter the dosage without consulting your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Razadyne ER (Galantamine HBr ER):
- Blurred vision
- Loss of appetite
- Runny nose
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Stomach pain
- Unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth
- Weight loss
Serious Side Effects of Razadyne ER (Galantamine HBr ER):
Forms and Strength
Razadyne ER (Galantamine HBr ER) is available in the following forms and strength:
Razadyne ER: Extended-Release Capsule
- 8 mg
- 16 mg
Galantamine HBr ER: Extended-Release Capsule
- 8 mg
- 16 mg
- 24 mg
- Do not use Razadyne ER if you are allergic to galantamine or any of the ingredients in the medication. Tell your doctor about any medical conditions you may have, especially liver or kidney disease, heart problems, stomach ulcers, seizures, or asthma.
- Razadyne ER may interact with other medications, including anticholinergic drugs, NSAIDs, certain antibiotics, and heart medications. Make sure to tell your doctor about all the medications and supplements you are taking.
- The extended-release formulation of galantamine can cause severe side effects if it is crushed, chewed, or broken. Patients should swallow the capsule whole and not crush or chew it.
- Razadyne ER may cause dizziness or drowsiness, which can impair your ability to drive or operate machinery. Avoid these activities until you know how galantamine affects you.
- Razadyne ER may cause slow heartbeat and fainting in some patients. This can be especially dangerous for people who already have heart problems.
- People with a history of asthma or other respiratory problems may experience worsening of their symptoms while taking Razadyne ER.
- Razadyne ER may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and weight loss, which can be dangerous for people who are already frail or malnourished.
- Taking Razadyne ER with alcohol or other sedatives can increase the risk of side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and impaired coordination.
- Galantamine may increase the risk of seizures, especially in people with a history of seizures or epilepsy.
- Razadyne ER may decrease the effectiveness of certain medications used to treat stomach ulcers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Razadyne ER cure Alzheimer's disease?
No, Razadyne ER cannot cure Alzheimer's disease, but it may help improve memory and mental function in some patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease.
How long does it take for Razadyne ER to start working?
It may take several weeks to see the full effects of Razadyne ER. Patients should continue taking the medication as prescribed even if they do not feel an immediate improvement in their mental function.
Can Razadyne ER be used in patients with severe dementia?
No, Razadyne ER is only approved for use in patients with mild to moderate dementia. It has not been studied in patients with severe dementia.
Can Razadyne ER be taken during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
The safety of Razadyne ER during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not known. Avoid taking galantamine during pregnancy and speak with your doctor if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
Can Razadyne ER be taken with food?
Yes, Razadyne ER should be taken with food to help minimize potential stomach upset.
Can Razadyne ER be used in patients with liver or kidney disease?
Razadyne ER should be used with caution in patients with liver or kidney disease. Your doctor will monitor your condition closely if you have these conditions.
It's important to purchase Razadyne ER from verified Canadian pharmacy.