Table of contents:
Prevacid DR used to treat and prevent stomach and intestinal ulcers and to manage symptoms caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It helps to relieve symptoms of conditions such as stomach and intestinal ulcers, erosive esophagitis, and other conditions associated with excess stomach acid.
Prevacid contains an active ingredient called lansoprazole. Lansoprazole belongs to a group of drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPI). They work by reducing the amount of acid produced in the stomach. It works by blocking the production of acid in the stomach by inhibiting the activity of the proton pumps that produce acid in the stomach lining.
Use and Dosage
Prevacid, is available as DR capsules that should be ingested orally according to your doctor's instructions, typically once daily before a meal. If you are administering it to yourself, make sure to adhere to all directions provided in the package.
The dosage and duration of treatment for the medication is determined by your medical condition and your response to the treatment. The dosage for children varies in accordance with their age and weight. Please do not take the medication more frequently than instructed or increase the dosage. If you have any questions, never hesitate to ask your pharmacist or doctor.
Do not chew or break the capsules. Instead, swallow them whole. If you encounter difficulty swallowing the capsules, you may open them, sprinkle the contents onto a spoonful of soft food (such as yogurt, cottage cheese, or applesauce), and swallow the mixture immediately without chewing it. Alternatively, you can mix the contents of the capsule with a small amount of juice (about 2 ounces or 60 milliliters), stir, and drink it right away without chewing it. Rinse the glass with additional juice to ensure that you consume the whole dosage, and never prepare the combination in advance for later use as this may cause drug damage.
To benefit from Lansoprazole capsules, you need to use it consistently. Take the medication daily at the same time each day to help you remember. Please continue to use Lansoprazole capsules for the prescribed duration of treatment even if you start feeling better. If you are using the over-the-counter product for self-treatment, do not continue for over 14 days without the direction of your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Prevacid DR (Lansoprazole):
Serious Side Effects of Prevacid DR (Lansoprazole):
- Fast or irregular heart rate
- Feeling jittery
- Jerky muscle movements
- Muscle cramps or weakness
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
Forms and Strength
Prevacid DR (Lansoprazole) is available in the following forms and strength:
Prevacid DR: Delayed Release Capsule
- 15 mg
- 30 mg
- 15 mg
- 30 mg
- Lansoprazole may treat stomach and intestinal ulcers, but it may increase the risk of stomach cancer, kidney damage, severe diarrhea, bone fractures, and lupus.
- Prevacid DR may interact with other drugs or herbal products, so it is recommended to keep a list of all the products being used and to consult with a doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medications.
- Some side effects of Prevacid DR include nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation, and headache. However, this is not a complete list and there may be other side effects. Consult with a doctor or healthcare provider if any unusual or severe side effects occur.
- Lansoprazole may increase the risk of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD), a severe type of diarrhea caused by a bacterium that can be difficult to treat.
- Prevacid DR should not be used by people who are allergic to lansoprazole or any of its components.
- Prevacid DR may not be effective for everyone, and it may take several days to feel the full benefits of the medication. Continue taking the medication as directed and contact a healthcare provider if symptoms do not improve or worsen.
- Prevacid DR may not be safe for use during pregnancy or breastfeeding, consult with a doctor before using the medication during these times.
- People with liver disease, osteoporosis, or low magnesium levels may need to use Prevacid DR with caution and may require close monitoring while taking the medication.
- Prevacid DR may affect the absorption of vitamin B12 and may increase the risk of hip, wrist, and spine fractures in people who take it for extended periods of time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Prevacid DR be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Consult with a doctor before using Prevacid DR during pregnancy or breastfeeding, as the medication may not be safe for use during these times.
Can Prevacid DR be used long-term?
Prevacid DR can be used long-term to manage chronic conditions, talk with a doctor about the risks and benefits of long-term use. Prolonged use has been associated with an increased risk of side effects like vitamin B12 deficiency and bone fractures.
Can Prevacid DR interact with other medications?
Yes, Prevacid DR may interact with other medications or herbal products, keep a list of all the products being used and to consult with a doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medications.
It's important to purchase Prevacid DR from verified Canadian pharmacy.