Table of contents:
Pepto Bismol Extra Strength is a concentrated liquid antacid medication designed to relieve symptoms such as diarrhea, upset stomach, heartburn, indigestion, and nausea.
Pepto Bismol Extra Strength liquid contains an active ingredient called Bismuth subsalicylate. Bismuth subsalicylate belongs to a class of medications called antacids and antidiarrheal. It works by coating the stomach and intestines (protecting them from stomach acid), by reducing inflammation in the stomach, and by killing certain bacteria.
Use and Dosage
Pepto Bismol Extra Strength comes in the form of liquid to take orally. To use Pepto Bismol Extra Strength liquid, follow these procedures:
- Shake the bottle well before use.
- Measure the appropriate dose using the included dose cup or a medication syringe.
- Take the recommended dose every hour as needed for relief of symptoms such as diarrhea, upset stomach, nausea, or heartburn.
The usual dose of regular strength liquid for adults is 2 tablespoons (30 mL). For children 10 to 12 years of age, the usual dose is 1 tablespoon (15 mL). For children 5 to 9 years of age, the usual dose is 1½ teaspoons (7.5 mL). For children 2 to 4 years of age, the recommended dose is 1 teaspoon (5 mL). The recommended dose can be given every 30 minutes to a maximum of 8 doses in 24 hours for the regular-strength liquid, and 4 doses in 24 hours for the extra-strength liquid.
Do not exceed the recommended dose or take it for a prolonged period without consulting with your healthcare provider. Follow the instructions on the label or as directed by your healthcare provider. Additionally, you should consult with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any medical conditions or concerns.
Common Side Effects of Pepto Bismol Extra Strength (Bismuth Subsalicylate- non-Rx):
- Black tongue
- Dark colored stools
Serious Side Effects of Pepto Bismol Extra Strength (Bismuth Subsalicylate- non-Rx):
- Abdominal pain
- Anal discomfort
- Black or 'hairy' tongue
- Clay-colored or gray-black stools
- Cold symptoms (stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat)
- Constipation (may be chronic)
- Dark urine
- Diarrhea (may be severe, watery, or bloody)
- Sores in the stomach lining
- Gas (flatulence)
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Difficulty falling asleep (insomnia)
- Loss of appetite
- Dark sticky feces
- Metallic taste in your mouth
- Mild diarrhea
- Mouth pain
- Muscle spasm
- Damage to the brain or nervous system
- Pain behind your eyes
- Pale skin
- Numbness and tingling
- Rapid heart rate
- Ringing in your ears (tinnitus)
- Seizure (convulsions)
- Severe allergic reaction
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain
- Swollen tongue
- Taste perversion
- Trouble concentrating
- Trouble swallowing
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Vision problems
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
Forms and Strength
Pepto Bismol Extra Strength (Bismuth Subsalicylate- non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Pepto Bismol Extra Strength: Liquid
- Do not use if you are allergic to salicylates such as aspirin, Doan's Extra Strength, Salflex, Tricosal, and others.
- Do not give it to children under 12 years of age unless directed by a doctor.
- Do not exceed the maximum daily dose of 8 doses (120 mL) in a 24-hour period.
- If you have bleeding problems or a stomach ulcer, speak to your doctor before using Pepto Bismol Extra Strength.
- If you are taking other medications, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs and herbal supplements, speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Pepto Bismol Extra Strength to ensure there are no interactions.
- If you experience any severe or unusual symptoms, such as black or bloody stools, stop using Pepto Bismol Extra Strength and seek medical attention immediately.
- Pepto Bismol Extra Strength may cause a temporary darkening of the tongue or stool.
- Do not take Pepto Bismol Extra Strength for more than 2 days in a row unless directed by a doctor.
- Pepto Bismol Extra Strength may interact with certain medical conditions, such as kidney disease, gout, or diabetes, so speak to your doctor before using the solution if you have any of these conditions.
- Pepto Bismol Extra Strength should be stored at room temperature and kept out of reach of children
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How should Pepto Bismol Extra Strength be stored?
Pepto Bismol Extra Strength should be stored at room temperature and kept out of reach of children.
Can Pepto Bismol Extra Strength be taken on an empty stomach?
Yes, Pepto Bismol Extra Strength can be taken on an empty stomach, but it may be more effective when taken after meals.
Can Pepto Bismol Extra Strength be used for heartburn?
Yes, Pepto Bismol Extra Strength can be used to relieve the symptoms of heartburn.
Is Pepto Bismol Extra Strength safe during pregnancy?
Speak to a doctor before using Pepto Bismol Extra Strength during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
Is Pepto Bismol Extra Strength safe for older adults?
Speak to a doctor before using Pepto Bismol Extra Strength if you are an older adult as it may interact with certain medical conditions or medications.
It's important to purchase Pepto Bismol Extra Strength from verified Canadian pharmacy.