Table of contents:
Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel is a dental pain relief medication that provides instant relief for toothaches and painful gums.
With active ingredients benzocaine, its gel works quickly to numb the affected area and alleviate discomfort. The gel is used for adults and children over the age of two and should be applied directly to the affected area as needed.
Use and Dosage
Orajel comes in a tube and can be applied directly to the affected area up to four times a day or as directed by a healthcare professional.
Adults and children who are 2 years or older can apply the gel directly to the affected area up to four times per day or as directed by a healthcare professional. Before applying the gel, clean the affected area and dry it with a tissue or cotton swab. Cut open the tip of the tube and use a small amount of gel on a clean finger or cotton swab. Gently apply the gel to the affected area and wait a few seconds for the gel to numb the pain. Allow the gel to absorb into the skin.
Do not swallow the gel or eat or drink anything for at least 1 hour after applying the gel. Do not use the gel more often than directed, or for longer than recommended. If symptoms persist or worsen, or if you experience any adverse reactions, stop using the product and consult with a healthcare professional.
Common Side Effects of Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel (Benzocaine - non-Rx):
- Allergic reactions
- Muscle twitching
Serious Side Effects of Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel (Benzocaine - non-Rx):
- Allergic reactions, including: hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Headache, confusion, or lightheadedness
- Methemoglobinemia, a rare but potentially life-threatening blood disorder that reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Pale or blue-colored skin, lips, or nails
- Rapid heart rate
- Seizures or convulsions
Forms and Strength
Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel (Benzocaine - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel: Medicated Gel
- Risk of serious and potentially fatal blood disorder: According to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration), benzocaine products may cause methemoglobinemia, a serious and potentially fatal blood disorder, especially in young children under the age of two. Use benzocaine products with caution, and to seek medical attention immediately if symptoms such as pale, gray, or blue colored skin or lips, shortness of breath, fatigue, confusion, headache, lightheadedness, or rapid heart rate occur.
- Potential skin infections or serious problems: Benzocaine may cause skin infections or serious problems, such as severe burns, if used improperly or in large amounts. Follow the proper use instructions and consult a doctor if skin irritation or infection occurs.
- Other concerns: Other concerns include potential injury to the mouth or infection if a piece of the gel is swallowed, and the possibility of allergic reactions or other side effects. Avoid swallowing the gel, and to seek medical attention if any allergic reactions or side effects occur.
- Drug interactions: As with any medication, Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel has the potential to interact with other drugs, supplements, or herbal products that you may be taking. Notify your doctor or pharmacist of all medications you are taking before using Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel.
- Pregnancy/Breastfeeding: It is unclear whether Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel is safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should consult with their doctor or pharmacist before using it
- Children: Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel may not be safe for use in children under the age of 2. It is recommended to always consult a doctor before using it on a child.
- Medical conditions: Individuals who have certain medical conditions such as liver problems, kidney problems, and some blood disorders may be at an increased risk of experiencing side effects from Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using it if you have any underlying medical conditions.
- Overuse: Overusing Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel may cause harmful side effects such as burning, stinging, or soreness. Follow the directions on the label and avoid overusing the product. If symptoms persist or worsen, consult with a doctor or pharmacist.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How often can I use Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel?
The recommended dosage is to apply the gel to the affected area no more than four times daily.
Can Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel be used for other types of pain?
The product is specifically designed for severe toothaches and painful gums and is not recommended for other types of pain.
Is it safe to swallow Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel?
No, it is not meant to be swallowed and should only be used for topical application on the gums or teeth.
It's important to purchase Orajel Severe Triple Medicated Gel from verified Canadian pharmacy.