Table of contents:
Moduretic is a prescription medication used to treat the symptoms of high blood pressure (hypertension) by helping the body get rid of excess fluids and salt. The active ingredients in Moduretic, amiloride and hydrochlorothiazide, are a combination of potassium-sparing and thiazide diuretics, respectively. This combination helps to reduce fluid buildup and lower blood pressure in patients with hypertension.
Amiloride works by stopping the reabsorption of salt in the kidneys, while hydrochlorothiazide increases the amount of salt and water passed in the urine. The potassium-sparing effect of amiloride helps to minimize the loss of potassium that could be caused by hydrochlorothiazide. Overall, Moduretic helps to regulate the balance of fluids and electrolytes in the body and reduce excess fluid retention and hypertension.
Use and Dosage
Moduretic comes in the form of tablet that should be taken orally with food, as directed by a doctor, usually once or twice a day. Take the tablet at least 4 hours before bedtime to avoid the need to wake up to urinate. If you have any questions about how or when to take this medication, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
The dosage of Moduretic is determined by your medical condition and response to the treatment. Take Moduretic regularly to receive the maximum benefits. To help remember, take it at the same time every day. Even if you feel well, continue taking the tablet; most people with high blood pressure do not feel sick.
If you also use bile acid-binding resins like cholestyramine or colestipol to lower your cholesterol, take Moduretic at least 4 hours before or 4 to 6 hours after these medications. Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve or gets worse, such as if your blood pressure readings remain high or increase.
Common Side Effects of Moduretic (Amiloride/Hctz):
- Decreased appetite
- Mild stomach pain
- Tired feeling
Serious Side Effects of Moduretic (Amiloride/Hctz):
- Difficulty breathing
- Feeling unsteady
- Loss of coordination
- Muscle cramps
- Muscle weakness
- Severe weakness
- Shallow breathing
- Slow heart rate
- Slurred speech
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
- Tingly feeling
- Weak pulse
Forms and Strength
Moduretic (Amiloride/Hctz) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 5/50 mg
- Dehydration: Moduretic can increase urination and lead to dehydration. Patients should drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication.
- Low blood pressure: Moduretic can reduce blood pressure too much, leading to dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. Blood pressure should be monitored while taking this medication.
- Electrolyte imbalances: Moduretic can cause imbalances in electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, or magnesium. This can lead to muscle weakness, cramping, or irregular heartbeats. Blood tests may be required to monitor electrolyte levels.
- Metabolic acidosis: Moduretic can cause an increase in acid levels in the body, which can lead to symptoms such as fatigue, confusion, and rapid breathing. Blood tests may be required to monitor acid levels in the body.
- Liver or kidney problems: Moduretic can affect liver and kidney function, especially in patients with pre-existing liver or kidney problems. Liver and kidney function tests may be required before starting Moduretic.
- Gout: Moduretic can increase the levels of uric acid in the body, which can lead to gout in patients with a history of gout.
- Diabetes: Moduretic can affect blood sugar levels in patients with diabetes. Blood sugar levels should be monitored closely while taking this medication.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Moduretic should be used with caution in pregnant or breastfeeding women, as it can affect fluid and electrolyte balance in both the mother and baby.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose of Moduretic?
If you miss a dose of Moduretic, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time.
Can Moduretic cause interactions with other medications or supplements?
Yes, let your doctor know about any other medications or supplements you are taking before starting Moduretic, as it can interact with certain medications and supplements.
How long does it take for Moduretic to start working?
Moduretic may take several weeks to reach its full effect. Continue taking Moduretic as prescribed, even if you feel well.
Can Moduretic be used in children?
Moduretic is generally not recommended for use in children, as it has not been studied in this population.
It's important to purchase Moduretic from verified Canadian pharmacy.