Table of contents:
Lanoxin Solution is a medication indicated for the treatment of heart failure and atrial fibrillation. It can be used along with other medications. Treating heart failure may help maintain your ability to walk and exercise and may improve the strength of your heart. Treating an irregular heartbeat can also improve your ability to exercise.
Lanoxin Solution contains the active ingredient digoxin, which belongs to a class of medications called cardiac glycosides. It works by inhibiting an enzyme called Na+/K+-ATPase in the heart, which leads to increased levels of calcium in the cardiac muscle cells. This, in turn, results in increased contractility of the heart muscle, allowing the heart to pump more blood with each beat.
Use and Dosage
Lanoxin Solution is usually taken by mouth once daily, either with food or on an empty stomach. The dosage of the medication will depend on your age, weight, medical condition, and other factors.
Eating foods that are high in fiber or taking certain medications may affect the absorption of Lanoxin Solution in your body. To ensure optimal absorption, take Lanoxin Solution at least 2 hours before or after consuming food items that are high in fiber, such as bran. If you are also taking cholestyramine, colestipol, or psyllium, wait at least 2 hours after taking your digoxin dose before taking any of these products. Similarly, if you are taking antacids, kaolin-pectin, milk of magnesia, metoclopramide, sulfasalazine, or aminosalicylic acid, take those as far apart from your digoxin dose as possible. If you are unsure about the timing of when to take your medications, seek the advice of your pharmacist.
If you miss a dose of Lanoxin Solution, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. In addition, not be stopped suddenly without consulting a healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Lanoxin Solution (Digoxin):
- Changes in appetite
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Blurred vision
- Mild rash or itching
Serious Side Effects of Lanoxin Solution (Digoxin):
- Dizziness or fainting
- Irregular, slow, or fast heartbeats
- Heart block
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Confusion or disorientation
- Unusual thoughts or behaviors
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
- Severe allergic reactions, such as swelling of the face, tongue, throat, or difficulty breathing
Forms and Strength
Lanoxin Solution (Digoxin) is available in the following forms and strength:
Lanoxin Solution: Pediatric Elixir
- Lanoxin Solution should not be used to treat premature beats that are not caused by atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter.
- Digoxin toxicity can occur even with therapeutic doses, especially in people with kidney problems or electrolyte imbalances.
- Lanoxin Solution may interact with other medications, including some antibiotics, antacids, diuretics, and herbal supplements.
- Lanoxin Solution may not be safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
- Before using Lanoxin Solution, inform your doctor if you have any medical conditions, such as kidney disease, liver disease, thyroid problems, or a history of heart failure or heart attack.
- Your doctor may need to monitor your heart rhythm, kidney function, and digoxin levels in your blood while you are taking Lanoxin Solution.
- Lanoxin Solution may cause dizziness, blurred vision, or confusion. Therefore, use caution while driving or operating machinery until you know how it affects you.
- People who are taking Lanoxin Solution must have their pulse and blood pressure taken regularly, as Lanoxin can slow heart rate, and decrease blood pressure.
- Elevated levels of Lanoxin in your body can cause side effects like nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite. If you experience any of these symptoms, tell your doctor immediately.
- Wet dose manufacturers must be careful when measuring the dose of Lanoxin Solution and not confuse it with other similarly named liquids.
- Lanoxin Solution can cause serious side effects like irregular heart rhythms, heart block, and ventricular tachycardia. These side effects may occur at therapeutic doses, therefore, be constantly monitored by a doctor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Lanoxin Solution to work?
The onset of action for Lanoxin Solution may vary based on the individual and their medical condition. Talk with your healthcare provider to better understand what you should expect.
How often should I have my heart rate and blood pressure checked while taking Lanoxin Solution?
If you are taking Lanoxin Solution, your doctor may need to monitor your heart rate and blood pressure regularly.
Can Lanoxin Solution be used in children?
Yes, Lanoxin Solution can be used in children, but the dosage will depend.
It's important to purchase Lanoxin Solution from verified Canadian pharmacy.