Table of contents:
Klor-Con M20 is a medication used to treat or prevent low levels of potassium in the blood (hypokalemia). It is a mineral supplement that contains potassium chloride in Microencapsulated ER (Extended Release) Tablet form. It is usually taken orally with a meal and a full glass of water to prevent stomach upset.
Klor-Con M20 works by providing potassium to the body, which is essential for proper functioning of cells, kidneys, heart, muscles, and nerves. Potassium chloride, the active ingredient in Klor-Con M20, raises the levels of potassium in the blood. This helps to prevent or treat low blood potassium levels that can occur due to certain medical conditions, medications, or other factors.
Uses and Dosage
Klor-Con M20 is a Microencapsulated ER Tablet and usually taken orally once or twice a day as prescribed by a doctor. The usual recommended dosage is one tablet of Klor-Con M20 every 12 hours, or as directed by a doctor. Klor-Con M20 is available by prescription only, and its use should be monitored by a healthcare professional to ensure it is safe and effective for the individual patient. To prevent stomach upset, take each dose with a meal and a full glass of water (8 ounces/240 milliliters) unless directed otherwise by a doctor.
Klor-Con M20 is only available by prescription, and its use should be monitored by a healthcare professional to ensure it is safe and effective for the individual patient. To ensure proper absorption and prevent side effects, do not crush, chew, or suck on the tablets, and do not lie down for at least ten minutes after taking the medication. If you have difficulty swallowing the tablets, you may break them in half and take with water or dissolve them in water before taking. Follow dietary guidelines given by a doctor to ensure effective treatment.
Common Side Effects of Klor-Con M20 (Potassium Chloride Micronized):
- Passing Gas
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Klor-Con M20 (Potassium Chloride Micronized):
- Allergic reactions (skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue)
- Breathing problems
- Heartburn (burning feeling in chest, often after eating or when lying down)
- High potassium levels (chest pain; fast, irregular heartbeat, muscle weakness)
- Low blood pressure (dizziness; feeling faint or lightheaded, falls; unusually weak or tired)
- Pain when swallowing
- Pain, tingling, or numbness in lips, hands, or feet
Form and Strength
Klor-Con M20 (Potassium Chloride Micronized) is available in the following forms and strength:
Klor-Con M20: Microencapsulated ER Tablet
- 20 meq
Potassium Chloride Micronized: Microencapsulated ER Tablet
- 20 meq
- Be cautious when taking Klor-Con M20 if you have any history of stomach or intestinal problems or if you have any difficulty swallowing.
- Do not take Klor-Con M20 if you have elevated levels of potassium in your blood or if you have kidney disease.
- Klor-Con M20 can cause side effects, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain. If you experience any of these side effects, you should contact your doctor immediately.
- Klor-Con M20 can interact with other medications, so make sure your doctor is aware of all medications you are currently taking before starting Klor-Con M20.
- Klor-Con M20 should be stored at room temperature and kept out of reach of children.
- Klor-Con M20 should be used with caution in people who have diabetes or Addison's disease, as it can affect blood sugar and cortisol levels, respectively.
- Klor-Con M20 should not be taken by people who have severe dehydration or who are unable to urinate.
- People who have heart disease should be monitored closely while taking Klor-Con M20 because it can cause abnormalities in the heart rhythm.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should talk to their doctor before taking Klor-Con M20, as it may not be safe for the fetus or infant.
- You should not crush, chew, or break Klor-Con M20 tablets, as this can lead to overdose or stomach irritation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
When should I take Potassium chloride (Klor-Con)?
Potassium chloride (Klor-Con) can be taken any time of day but be sure to take it with food and plenty of fluids to minimize upset stomach. The recommendation is avoid taking it within 30 minutes of laying down, since the medication could end up sitting in your stomach longer and causing irritation.
How should I take Klor-Con M20?
Klor-Con M20 should be taken with a full glass of water or other liquid. It should be taken with food or immediately after a meal. Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Klor-Con M20?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What should I avoid while taking Klor-Con M20?
Avoid using salt substitutes or low-sodium milk products that contain potassium. These products can lead to elevated levels of potassium in your blood.
It's important to purchase Klor-Con M20 from verified Canadian pharmacy.