Table of contents:
Rythmol ER is an oral medication used to prevent serious heart rhythm disorders, such as atrial fibrillation (AF), in patients who do not have structural heart disease.
Rythmol contains the active ingredient propafenone hydrochloride. Propafenone is in a class of medications called antiarrhythmics. It works by blocking the activity of certain electrical signals in the heart that can cause an irregular heartbeat.
Use and Dosage
Propafenone ER is available in the form of ER 12H Capsules, which are taken orally with or without food, usually every 12 hours or as prescribed by your physician. Swallow the capsules whole without crushing or chewing them, as this may increase the risk of side effects by releasing all the drug at once.
The dosage of Propafenone ER is determined based on your medical condition and response to treatment. To get the maximum benefit from the medication, use it regularly, and take it at the same time each day to help you remember.
Unless stated otherwise by your pharmacist or physician, avoid consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice while taking Propafenone ER, as this may increase the likelihood of side effects. Contact your physician or pharmacist for additional details.
Propafenone may control your irregular heartbeat but will not cure it. Continue to take propafenone even if you feel well. Do not stop taking propafenone without talking to your doctor. Your heartbeat may become irregular if you suddenly stop taking propafenone. If your condition fails to improve, or if it worsens, inform your doctor immediately.
Common Side Effects of Rythmol ER (Propafenone ER):
- Change in taste
- Chest pain
- Excess fluid under the skin (edema)
- Nose or throat infection, including the flu
- Palpitations (fast or irregular heartbeats)
- Shortness of breath
Serious Side Effects of Rythmol ER (Propafenone ER):
- Blood in urine
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Heart murmur
- Low blood pressure
- Shaking (tremor)
- Wheezing or abnormal lung sounds
Forms and Strength
Rythmol ER (Propafenone ER) is available in the following form and strength:
Propafenone ER: ER 12H Capsule
- 225 mg
- The medication may cause serious side effects like heart block or a dangerous heart rhythm.
- It should be used with caution in patients with certain heart conditions such as heart block, sick sinus syndrome, or bundle branch block, as well as in patients with liver or kidney problems.
- Patients should inform their doctor about any other medications they are taking, especially blood thinners, beta-blockers, or calcium channel blockers, as these may interact with Rythmol ER.
- The medication may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting, particularly during the first few weeks of treatment or following a dosage increase.
- Patients with a history of allergies or intolerance to propafenone or other medications should not take Rythmol ER.
- Patients taking Rythmol ER should avoid consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice, as this may increase the level of propafenone in the blood and lead to serious side effects.
- Rythmol ER may prolong the QT interval, which is a measure of the electrical activity of the heart and may increase the risk of life-threatening arrhythmias. Therefore, it should be used with caution in patients with a history of QT prolongation, and periodic monitoring of the QT interval should be performed.
- Rythmol ER may cause or worsen lung problems, particularly in patients with a history of lung disease or breathing problems. Patients should inform their doctor if they experience any symptoms such as shortness of breath, cough, or wheezing.
- Rythmol ER may cause blurred vision or other vision problems. Patients should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery until they know how the medication affects them.
- The medication may affect a patient's ability to exercise, as it can cause fatigue or weakness. Patients should consult their doctor before starting any exercise regimen while taking Rythmol ER.
- If a patient misses a dose of Rythmol ER, they should take the missed dose as soon as they remember. However, if it is almost time for their next dose, they should skip the missed dose and resume their regular dosing schedule.
- Patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consult their doctor before taking Rythmol ER, as it is not known whether the medication can harm the unborn baby or pass into breast milk.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Rythmol ER be used for other conditions?
While Rythmol ER is primarily used to treat certain types of irregular heartbeats, it may also be used for other conditions deemed appropriate by your doctor.
How long does Rythmol ER take to work?
Rythmol ER may take a few weeks to start working, and it may take several months of treatment before you experience the full benefits. Continue taking the medication as directed by your doctor, even if you do not feel any immediate improvement.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Rythmol ER?
If you miss a dose of Rythmol ER, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
How should Rythmol ER be stored?
Rythmol ER should be stored at room temperature away from light and moisture. Do not store it in the bathroom or near the kitchen sink where moisture is present. Keep out of reach of children and pets.
It's important to purchase Rythmol ER from verified Canadian pharmacy.