Table of contents:
Kaopectate Regular Vanilla is a liquid medication used for the relief of diarrhea and upset stomach. It contains bismuth subsalicylate, which works by reducing inflammation and preventing fluid buildup in the digestive tract. The recommended dosage for adults is 2 tablespoons (30 ml) every 30 to 60 minutes, as needed, for up to 8 doses per day.
Kaopectate is anti-inflammatory effects on the gastrointestinal tract, which can help to reduce stomach upset and other related symptoms. It can be indicated to provide relief from common symptoms of diarrhea and upset stomach and help you recover quickly.
Use and Dosage
Kaopectate Regular Vanilla should be taken as directed on the packaging or as prescribed by a healthcare professional. Shake the bottle well before each use and use the measuring spoon or cup provided to ensure accurate dosing. Then, take the medication orally, using the provided measuring spoon or dropper to measure out the correct dose. It is typically taken after each loose bowel movement, up to a maximum of 8 doses per day.
Shake the bottle well before each use and use the measuring spoon or cup provided to ensure accurate dosing. The recommended dosage for Kaopectate Regular Vanilla in liquid form for adults and children 12 years of age and older is 30 mL or 2 tablespoonfuls.
Do not exceed the recommended dose and do not take Kaopectate Regular Vanilla for more than two days, unless under the guidance of a healthcare professional. If your symptoms persist or worsen, contact your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Kaopectate Regular Vanilla (Bismuth Subsalicylate - non-Rx):
- Dark colored stools
Serious Side Effects of Kaopectate Regular Vanilla (Bismuth Subsalicylate - non-Rx):
- Changes in behavior with nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea lasting longer than 2 days
- Hearing loss or ringing in your ears
- Worsened stomach symptoms
Forms and Strength
Kaopectate Regular Vanilla (Bismuth Subsalicylate - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Kaopectate Regular Vanilla: Liquid
- Kaopectate contains bismuth subsalicylate, which may interact with other medications. Talk to a doctor or pharmacist before using Kaopectate if you are taking any other medications.
- Individuals with a history of gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers, or other stomach problems should consult with a doctor before using Kaopectate.
- Kaopectate should not be used by individuals with a known allergy to salicylates, including aspirin.
- Kaopectate may cause temporary blackening of the stool and tongue. It is a harmless effect of the medication.
- Kaopectate is not recommended for use in children under the age of 12 unless under the direction of a doctor.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should talk to a doctor before using Kaopectate.
- Kaopectate should not be used for more than 48 hours without the advice of a doctor.
- Kaopectate may cause ringing in the ears, confusion, or other mental changes in some people. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop using Kaopectate immediately and seek medical attention.
- Bismuth subsalicylate may interfere with certain laboratory tests, including tests for blood in the stool or glucose (sugar) levels in the urine. Be sure to tell your doctor or laboratory personnel that you are using Kaopectate if you are undergoing such tests.
- Kaopectate may cause constipation in some people, especially if used for prolonged periods of time or in high doses.
- You should not take Kaopectate Regular Vanilla if you have a history of Reye's Syndrome.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Kaopectate Regular Vanilla safe?
Kaopectate Regular Vanilla is considered safe for most people when used as directed. However, like all medications, it can cause side effects in some people. These may include constipation, darkening of the tongue or stools, and ringing in the ears.
Can Kaopectate Regular Vanilla be taken by children?
Kaopectate Regular Vanilla is not recommended for children under the age of 12, unless under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
How long can I take Kaopectate Regular Vanilla for diarrhea and upset stomach?
Kaopectate Regular Vanilla is intended for short-term use to relieve symptoms of diarrhea and upset stomach. If your symptoms persist for more than two days or worsen, you should contact your healthcare provider.
Can Kaopectate Regular Vanilla be taken with other medications?
Kaopectate Regular Vanilla may interact with some medications, including blood thinners and anti-inflammatory medications. Talk to your healthcare provider before taking Kaopectate Regular Vanilla with any other medications.
It's important to purchase Kaopectate Regular Vanilla from verified Canadian pharmacy.