Table of contents:
Ilotycin eye ointment is an eye medication used to treat certain eye infections, such as conjunctivitis, and to prevent certain eye infections in newborns. It contains the antibiotic erythromycin and works by stopping bacteria from being able to grow and multiply.
The ointment is applied to the affected eye(s), usually in a ribbon approximately 1 cm in length. It is available by prescription and should only be used as directed by a healthcare professional.
Use and Dosage
To apply Erythromycin Eye Ointment to the affected eye, begin by washing your hands. Make sure to avoid touching the tip of the tube or letting it touch your eye, eyelid, or any other surface to prevent contamination. Tilt your head back and look up, gently pulling down the lower eyelid to create a pouch. As directed by your doctor, apply about a half-inch (1 centimeter) strip of ointment to the pouch. Close your eye and roll the eyeball in all directions to spread the medication, taking care not to rub the eye or blink. Repeat these steps for your other eye if necessary. Before recapping the tube, wipe the tip with a clean tissue to remove any extra medication.
Do not wear contact lenses while using the medication and be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for sterilizing your lenses. Always check with your doctor before using your contacts again.
The dosage of Erythromycin Eye Ointment is determined by your medical condition and response to treatment. Do not exceed the prescribed dose or frequency of use. If you are using other eye medications, wait at least 5 minutes before applying Erythromycin Eye Ointment to avoid interfering with their efficacy. When using multiple medications, apply eye drops before the ointment.
Use Erythromycin Eye Ointment regularly and at the same time(s) each day to achieve maximum benefit. Be sure to continue using it for the full time prescribed, even if you begin to feel better. Stopping the medication too soon may allow bacteria to persist, potentially leading to a recurrence of the infection. After applying the ointment, wait several minutes for your vision to clear before driving or using machinery.
Common Side Effects of Ilotycin Eye Ointment (Erythromycin):
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Minor eye irritations
- Temporary blurred vision
Serious Side Effects of Ilotycin Eye Ointment (Erythromycin):
- New or worsening eye symptoms (pain, swelling, thick discharge or pus)
- Severe dizziness
- Swelling of the face, tongue, or throat
- Trouble breathing
- Serious eye symptoms such as sudden vision loss, blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or swelling, or seeing halos around lights
- Serious heart symptoms such as fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeats; fluttering in your chest; shortness of breath; and sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, or passing out
- Severe headache, confusion, slurred speech, arm or leg weakness, trouble walking, loss of coordination, feeling unsteady, very stiff muscles, high fever, profuse sweating, or tremors
Forms and Strength
Ilotycin Eye Ointment (Erythromycin) is available in the following forms and strength:
Erythromycin: Eye Ointment
- It may cause allergic reactions in some people. If you experience itching, rash, or swelling after using the ointment, stop using it and contact your healthcare provider.
- It may interact with other medicines, herbs, or supplements. Make sure to inform your healthcare provider about all the medications you are taking before using Ilotycin Eye Ointment.
- It may cause blurred vision. Avoid driving or operating machinery until your vision clears up after using the ointment.
- It may not be safe to use during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Consult your healthcare provider before using Ilotycin Eye Ointment if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- It may not be effective against all types of eye infections. Use it only as directed by your healthcare provider and do not share the ointment with others.
- It may cause mild stinging or burning in the eyes. This is a common side effect that usually goes away within a few minutes. If it persists or worsens, contact your healthcare provider.
- It may affect the accuracy of certain eye tests. Inform your healthcare provider if you have used Ilotycin Eye Ointment before any eye tests.
- It may cause bacterial resistance if used for prolonged periods or improperly. Use only as directed by your healthcare provider and do not share the ointment with others.
- It may cause diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms if swallowed accidentally. Keep the ointment out of reach of children and pets.
- It may cause skin irritation or allergic reactions if applied to the skin around the eyes. Avoid getting the ointment on your skin and make sure to wash your hands after use.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How often should I use Ilotycin Eye Ointment?
The recommended dose is to apply a small amount of ointment two to four times a day, or as directed by your healthcare provider.
Can Ilotycin Eye Ointment be used for other types of eye infections?
Ilotycin Eye Ointment is only effective against bacterial infections of the eye. It will not be effective against viral or fungal infections.
Can I use Ilotycin Eye Ointment if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
Ilotycin Eye Ointment is considered safe to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding. However, you should always consult your healthcare provider before using any medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
How long should I use Ilotycin Eye Ointment for?
The length of treatment will depend on the severity of the infection. Your healthcare provider will give you specific instructions on how long to use the ointment for.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Ilotycin Eye Ointment?
If you miss a dose, apply the ointment as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
It's important to purchase Ilotycin Eye Ointment from verified Canadian pharmacy.