Table of contents:
Hytrin is a medication used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate). It contains the active ingredient terazosin. It belongs to a class of drugs called alpha blockers. Hytrin works by relaxing the muscles in the prostate and the walls of blood vessels, which helps to lower blood pressure and improve urine flow.
Terazosin works by blocking the action of a type of receptor called alpha-1 receptors, which are located in the walls of blood vessels and in the prostate gland. By blocking these receptors, terazosin causes the smooth muscles in the prostate and walls of blood vessels to relax, which in turn promotes improved urine flow and lowered blood pressure. Specifically, terazosin relaxes the muscles of the bladder and prostate, which can help relieve the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
In addition to its BPH indications, it is also prescribed for hypertension or high blood pressure. Hytrin and other antihypertensive agents can help to control high blood pressure, which can prevent complications such as kidney problems, heart attack, and stroke.
Uses and Dosage
Hytrin is available in tablet while its generic version Terazosin comes as Capsules. When taking Hytrin Tablet or capsules of terazosin, be sure to follow your doctor's instructions for dosing. Take the medication orally by mouth, with or without food, and usually once daily at bedtime. Swallow the pill whole and follow with a glass of water. Ask for assistance from a pharmacist if you want to divide the tablets in half.
If this is your first time taking the medication, start with a low dose of 1 milligram to avoid the risk of a sudden drop in blood pressure, which may cause symptoms such as dizziness or fainting. To further reduce this risk, take your first dose of terazosin at bedtime.
The typical dosing for terazosin varies depending on the condition being treated.
- For benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), the starting dose is 1 mg taken by mouth once a day at bedtime, with a maximum effective dose of 20 mg taken by mouth once a day at bedtime.
- For high blood pressure, the starting dose is also 1 mg taken by mouth once a day at bedtime, with most people taking between 1 mg and 5 mg total per day. The dose may be increased up to 20 mg per day if necessary.
Common Side Effects of Hytrin (Terazosin): Nausea
- Blurred vision
- Stuffy nose
Serious Side Effects of Hytrin (Terazosin):
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Prolonged erection that lasts for 4 hours or more
- Sexual dysfunction
- Sudden weight gain
- Swelling of the extremities
- Tingling in the hands and feet
Form and Strength
Hytrin (Terazosin) is available in the following forms and strength:
Hytrin: ER (Extended Release) Tablet
- 2 mg
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
Terazosin: ER Tablet
- 1 mg
- 2 mg
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
- Hytrin (Terazosin) can cause side effects, although this is not a complete list of side effects.
- Hytrin (Terazosin) can cause problems if blood pressure is not properly controlled.
- Drinking alcohol while taking Hytrin (Terazosin) may make the medication less effective.
- Talk to a doctor or pharmacist about all the possible risks and precautions associated with taking Hytrin (Terazosin).
- The dosage of Hytrin (Terazosin) should be individually adjusted according to the patient's response and tolerance.
- Hytrin (Terazosin) can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, especially when taking the first dose or increasing the dosage.
- Patients who are scheduled for cataract surgery should inform their ophthalmologist if they are taking or have previously taken Hytrin (Terazosin).
- Hytrin (Terazosin) may cause drowsiness, so caution should be taken when driving or operating machinery. Consult a doctor or pharmacist and read the medication guide carefully before taking Hytrin (Terazosin).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I drink alcohol while taking Hytrin (Terazosin)?
Drinking alcohol while taking Hytrin (Terazosin) may make the medication less effective, avoid alcohol while taking this medication.
How long does it take for Hytrin to start working?
Taking Hytrin for BPH can start to feel relief after taking it for 2 weeks. For high blood pressure, it will start working 15 minutes after taking your dose and will fully kick in within 2 to 3 hours.
Can Hytrin (Terazosin) be stopped abruptly?
No, Hytrin (Terazosin) should not be stopped abruptly without consulting a healthcare provider, as it may cause a sudden increase in blood pressure or other adverse effects.
Does Hytrin affect your heartbeat?
Hytrin can cause palpitations. This should be reported immediately.
It's important to purchase Hytrin from verified Canadian pharmacy.