Table of contents:
Flovent Diskus is a medication used for the long-term control and prevention of asthma symptoms in patients aged 4 years and older. It contains the active ingredient fluticasone propionate, which is an inhaled corticosteroid. It works by reducing inflammation in the lungs and airways, which can help to prevent or reduce the frequency and severity of asthma attacks.
Uses and Dosage
Flovent Diskus is available as a dry powder inhaler, which is used twice daily. The strength of the inhaler and the number of inhalations per use may depend on the individual patient's condition and the recommendation of their healthcare provider. Use it consistently and as prescribed to achieve the best results.
To use Flovent Diskus (powder inhaler), follow these steps:
- Hold the inhaler away from your mouth and breathe out as far as is comfortable.
- Put the mouthpiece to your lips, remove the inhaler from its holder, and slide the lever until it clicks.
- Breathe in deeply and slowly through your mouth, pressing down on the lever to release the medication.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for up to 10 seconds or as long as is comfortable.
- Breathe out slowly.
Follow your healthcare provider's specific instructions for using this medication. Be sure to rinse your mouth with water and spit it out after using Flovent Diskus, as this can help prevent potential side effects such as candidiasis (yeast infection) of the mouth or throat.
Common Side Effects of Flovent Diskus (Fluticasone):
- Chest pain
- Deepened voice
- Low fever
- Sinus pain
- Sore throat
- Stuffy nose
- Upset stomach
- White patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips
Serious Side Effects of Flovent Diskus (Fluticasone):
- Blurred vision
- Breathing problems after using the medicine
- Chest pain
- Clay-colored stools
- Dark urine
- Difficulty breathing
- Eye pain
- Loss of appetite
- Seeing halos around lights
- Severe tingling
- Skin rash
- Stomach pain
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Tunnel vision
- Upper stomach pain
- Weight loss
- Worsening of your asthma symptoms
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
Form and Strength
Flovent Diskus (Fluticasone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Flovent Diskus: Diskus (Powder Inhaler)
- 50 mcg
- 100 mcg
- 250 mcg
- Flovent Diskus should not be used to relieve sudden breathing problems. It is used as a long-term maintenance medication to control asthma.
- Do not take Flovent Diskus if you are allergic to fluticasone propionate or any of the other ingredients in the medication.
- Flovent Diskus may weaken your immune system, so you may be more vulnerable to infections. If you have an infection, your doctor may recommend you temporarily stop taking this medication until the infection is under control.
- You should be cautious using Flovent Diskus if you have a fungal, bacterial, or viral infection in your respiratory system. It is recommended to rinse your mouth with water after using Flovent Diskus to reduce the risk of thrush (a fungal infection in the mouth).
- Flovent Diskus may cause side effects, including headaches, dizziness, throat irritation, and more rarely, cataracts and osteoporosis. Be sure to discuss these risks with your doctor and monitor your symptoms when using the medication.
- Flovent Diskus may interact with other medications, inform your healthcare provider about any other medications you are currently taking.
- Flovent Diskus is not recommended for pregnant women unless clearly necessary. If you are breastfeeding, it is also essential to consult your doctor before taking Flovent Diskus.
- Flovent Diskus may increase the risk of osteoporosis or bone fractures, mainly if the medication is used for an extended period.
- Children who use Flovent Diskus should be monitored carefully, as the medication may affect their growth rate.
- If you are taking high doses of Flovent Diskus for an extended period, your doctor may need to perform tests to monitor your adrenal gland function.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Flovent Diskus be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding?
Consult your healthcare provider before using Flovent Diskus if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Can children use Flovent Diskus?
Yes, Flovent Diskus can be used by children. However, children should be monitored carefully as the medication may affect their growth rate.
How long does it take for Flovent Diskus to work?
Flovent Diskus is a maintenance medication, so it may take several weeks to start working fully. Use the medication consistently as directed by your healthcare provider for the best results.
Can Flovent Diskus cause weight gain?
Weight gain is not a common side effect of Flovent Diskus. However, if you have concerns about changes in your weight while using this medication, you should discuss them with your healthcare provider.
It's important to purchase Flovent Diskus from verified Canadian pharmacy.