Table of contents:
Detrol LA (tolterodine tartrate extended-release capsules) is a prescription medication used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as frequent urination, urgency, and incontinence (leaks). Detrol LA belongs to the class of drugs known as antispasmodics. It works by relaxing the muscles in the bladder, which reduces the symptoms of overactive bladder.
Tolterodine LA may be used alone or in combination with other medications. It is not a cure for overactive bladder, but it can help manage the symptoms. By blocking certain receptors in the bladder, it can reduce spasms and contractions of the bladder muscles, helping to reduce leaking of urine and the feeling of needing to urinate urgently or frequently. It may take up to two weeks of regular use for relief of symptoms to occur.
Uses and Dosage
Detrol LA comes in the form of a capsule to be taken by mouth once a day, with or without food, as directed by your doctor. Swallow the medication whole with a full glass of liquid and not crush or chew it, as this may destroy its long action and increase the risk of side effects. Use the capsule regularly at the same time each day to get the most benefit from it.
The dosage may be based on your medical condition, response to treatment, and other medications you may be taking, so be sure to inform your doctor of all the products you use. Do not increase your dose or take this medication more often than directed, as this may increase the risk of serious side effects and will not improve your condition any faster.
Common Side Effects of Detrol LA (Tolterodine LA):
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal Pain
- Abnormal vision
- Dysuria (stinging or burning sensation in the urethra)
Serious Side Effects of Detrol LA (Tolterodine LA):
- Chest pain
- Irregular heart rhythm
- Difficulty urinating
- Painful urination
Form and Strength
Detrol LA (Tolterodine LA) is available in the following forms and strength:
Detrol LA: ER (Extended Release) Capsule
- 2 mg
- 4 mg
Tolterodine LA: ER Capsule
- 2 mg
- 4 mg
- Detrol LA has both benefits and risks. There may be other options. Ask your doctor if Tolterodine LA is right for you.
- Detrol LA may cause allergic reactions that may be serious. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include swelling of the face, lips, throat, or tongue. If you experience these symptoms, you should stop taking Detrol LA and get emergency medical help right away.
- Do not take Detrol LA if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or are allergic to Toviaz (fesoterodine fumarate).
- Do not take Detrol LA if you have trouble emptying your bladder (urinary retention), if your stomach empties slowly (gastric retention), or if you have glaucoma.
- Medicines like Detrol LA can cause blurred vision, dizziness, and drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know how Detrol LA affects you.
- The most common side effects with Tolterodine LA are dry mouth, constipation, headache, and stomach pain.
- Use it with caution in patients with gastrointestinal obstructive disorders, such as pyloric stenosis.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Detrol LA a cure for overactive bladder?
No, Detrol LA is not a cure for overactive bladder, but it can help manage the symptoms.
Can Detrol LA be used alone or in combination with other medications?
Detrol LA may be used alone or in combination with other medications, depending on the individual patient's needs.
Does Detrol LA interact with other medications?
Detrol LA may interact with other medications; inform your doctor of all the medications you are currently taking.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Detrol LA?
If you miss a dose of Detrol LA, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
When should I contact my doctor while taking Detrol LA?
You should contact your doctor if you experience any unusual side effects or if your symptoms do not improve while taking Detrol LA.
It's important to purchase Detrol LA from verified Canadian pharmacy.