Table of contents:
Declomycin (demeclocycline) is a prescription antibiotic medication used to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including acne. It belongs to the class of tetracycline antibiotics. Declomycin works by preventing the growth and spread of bacteria in the body. It should only be used to treat bacterial infections, not viral infections like the common cold or flu.
Uses and Dosage
Declomycin is typically taken in the form of tablets by mouth, usually 2 to 4 times a day, or as directed by a doctor. The tablet must be taken on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal, with a full glass of water (8 ounces or 240 milliliters) unless directed otherwise by a doctor. Additionally, patients should not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking the medication to prevent esophageal irritation. If stomach upset occurs, a doctor should be consulted to determine if the medication can be taken with food.
Declomycin should be taken 2 to 3 hours before or after taking any medication containing magnesium, aluminum, or calcium. This is because these ingredients may prevent the absorption of Demeclocycline.
The usual dosing for Demeclocycline varies depending on the patient's age and condition.
- For adults, the typical dose is 150 mg taken orally four times daily, or 300 mg taken orally twice daily. The maximum recommended dose per day is 600 mg.
- For children aged 8 years or older, the typical dose is 7 to 13 mg/kg taken orally per day, split into 2 to 4 doses throughout the day. The maximum recommended dose per day is 600 mg.
Common Side Effects of Declomycin (Demeclocycline):
- Loss of appetite
- Mild nausea
- Sores or swelling in your rectal or genital area
- Swollen tongue
- Trouble swallowing,
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- White patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips
Serious Side Effects of Declomycin (Demeclocycline):
- Body aches
- Chest pain
- Dark colored urine
- Difficulty breathing
- Dry cough
- Easy bruising
- Fast heart rate
- Flu symptoms
- Increased thirst or urination
- Mood changes
- Muscle weakness
- Pain behind eyes
- Pale skin
- Purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin
- Rapid breathing
- Ringing in your ears
- Severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back
- Severe tingling
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and a red skin rash
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum)
- Urinating less than usual or not at all
- Vision problems
- Weight gain
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
Form and strength
Declomycin (Demeclocycline) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 150 mg
- Side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and allergic reactions.
- Interaction with other medications, inform your healthcare provider of all medications you are taking.
- Declomycin is not recommended for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
- Potential nephrotoxicity, so caution is required.
- Patients taking demeclocycline may become more sensitive to sunlight and are advised to avoid exposure to sunlight and ultraviolet light.
- Demeclocycline may cause digestive issues such as stomach cramps, bloating, and loss of appetite in some cases.
- Rarely, demeclocycline may cause blood disorders like thrombocytopenia or anemia.
- Demeclocycline should be used with caution in children and adolescents because long-term use may result in impaired bone growth.
- Patients taking demeclocycline have reported increased intracranial pressure and symptoms related to pseudotumor cerebri.
- Demeclocycline use is associated with elevated liver enzymes and other liver-related problems in some cases.
- Patients should avoid lying down for at least 30 minutes after taking the medication to prevent irritation of the esophagus.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Declomycin to start working?
The time it takes for Declomycin to start working can vary depending on the severity of the infection being treated. However, you may start to feel better after a few days of treatment. Take the full course of treatment, even if you start feeling better.
Is it safe to take Declomycin during pregnancy?
Declomycin is not recommended for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your healthcare provider before taking this medication.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Declomycin?
Avoid alcohol while taking Declomycin. Alcohol may decrease the effectiveness of the medication and increase the risk of side effects.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Declomycin?
If you miss a dose of Declomycin, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
Can Declomycin be used to treat other kinds of infections besides acne?
Yes, Declomycin can be used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. However, consult with your healthcare provider to determine if Declomycin is the appropriate treatment for your infection.
It's important to purchase Declomycin from verified Canadian pharmacy.