Table of contents:
Combivent nebules is a type of nebulizer solution indicated for the treatment of bronchospasm associated with obstructive airway diseases, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It contains a combination of two medications: ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate (also known as salbutamol). These drugs work by relaxing the muscles around the airways in the lungs, making it easier to breathe.
Ipratropium bromide is an anticholinergic medication that acts on receptors in the airways to relax the muscles and widen the airways, making breathing easier. Albuterol sulfate is a bronchodilator that works by relaxing the muscles in the airways, opening the air passages to the lungs, and increasing airflow to the lungs.
Use and Dosage
The nebulizer solution is delivered using a nebulizer machine, which converts the liquid solution into a fine mist that can be inhaled into the lungs. Your healthcare provider will direct you to inhale Ipratropium/Albuteral Sulfate into your lungs using a nebulizer, typically four times per day. Avoid allowing the medication to enter your eyes as it may cause temporary vision changes, eye pain, or irritation.
Mouthpiece is used with the nebulizer instead of a face mask. If needed, close your eyes during use. Each treatment usually lasts between 5 to 15 minutes. Ipratropium/Albuteral Sulfate should only be used with a nebulizer and should not be swallowed or injected. To prevent infections, clean the nebulizer, mouthpiece, and/or face mask according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Combivent Nebules should be clear and colorless. Before using, check this product visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not use the liquid.
Here are the general steps for using a nebulizer with this medication:
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Open the seal of the ampule containing the medication and squeeze the entire contents into the cup of the nebulizer.
- Connect the mouthpiece or mask to the nebulizer.
- Attach the tubing to the nebulizer and the compressor.
- Turn on the compressor and breathe in the mist until the medication is finished, which usually takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Clean all parts thoroughly with soap and water after each use.
Do not increase your dose or use this drug more often than prescribed without your doctor's approval. Using too much of this medication will increase your risk of serious (possibly fatal) side effects. Rinse your mouth after treatment to prevent dry mouth and throat irritation.
Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Combivent Nebules works best if used at evenly spaced intervals. To help you remember, use it at the same times each day.
Common Side Effects of Combivent Nebules (Ipratropium/Albuteral Sulfate):
- Uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
Serious Side Effects of Combivent Nebules (Ipratropium/Albuteral Sulfate):
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Difficulty urinating
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection
- Swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, throat, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
Forms and Strength
Combivent Nebules (Ipratropium/Albuteral Sulfate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Ipratropium/Albuteral Sulfate: Nebules
- Hypersensitivity: patients with a history of hypersensitivity to atropine, ipratropium, albuterol, or any other component of the product should avoid using Combivent Nebules.
- Cardiovascular effects: Combivent Nebules can cause changes in heart rate and blood pressure, so it should be used with caution in patients with cardiovascular disease, such as coronary insufficiency or hypertension.
- Urinary retention: Combivent Nebules can cause urinary retention, particularly in patients with pre-existing prostatic hypertrophy or bladder neck obstruction.
- Allergic reactions: as with any medication, allergic reactions are possible. Patients should be monitored for signs of an allergic reaction, such as skin rash, hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Use in pregnancy and lactation: the safety of Combivent Nebules during pregnancy or breastfeeding has not been established and should only be used if the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks. Discuss any health conditions or concerns with a healthcare provider before using Combivent Nebules.
- Use with other medications: Combivent Nebules should be used with caution when taken with other medications that can also cause cardiovascular effects or narrow the airways, such as beta-blockers or other sympathomimetic drugs.
- Use in patients with seizure disorders: Combivent Nebules can worsen the symptoms of patients with seizure disorders, such as epilepsy, so it should be used with caution in these patients.
- Use in patients with diabetes: Combivent Nebules can affect blood sugar levels, so it should be used with caution in patients with diabetes.
- Appropriate use: Combivent Nebules should only be used as directed by a healthcare provider, and patients should not exceed the recommended dosage or frequency of use. As with any medication, discuss any health conditions or concerns with a healthcare provider before using Combivent Nebules.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Combivent Nebules be used in children?
Combivent Nebules may be used in children under the guidance of a healthcare provider.
How often should Combivent Nebules be used?
The frequency of use will depend on the individual's specific condition and the recommendations of a healthcare provider.
Are there any specific instructions for using Combivent Nebules?
Combivent Nebules should only be used as directed by a healthcare provider, and patients should follow the instructions for their specific nebulizer machine. The medication should be stored at room temperature and protected from light.
Is Combivent Nebules safe for use with other medications?
Combivent Nebules should be used with caution when taken with other medications that can also cause cardiovascular effects or narrow the airways, such as beta-blockers or other sympathomimetic drugs.
It's important to purchase Combivent Nebules from verified Canadian pharmacy.