Table of contents:
Celebrex, with the generic name celecoxib, is a prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to treat pain and inflammation associated with conditions such as arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, menstrual cramps, and other musculoskeletal disorders. Celecoxib works by blocking an enzyme in your body called cyclooxygenase (COX-2) which is responsible for making prostaglandins. By decreasing prostaglandins, celecoxib helps to reduce pain and swelling.
Celebrex provides relief from pain, swelling and stiffness caused by arthritis and other joint-related issues. It is used to treat arthritis, acute pain, and menstrual pain and discomfort. The pain and swelling relief provided by this medication helps you perform more of your normal daily activities.
Celebrex is used to treat juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in children who are at least 2 years old. It is also used in the treatment of hereditary polyps in the colon. It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body. With its easy-to-swallow capsules, Celebrex quickly gets to work releasing anti-inflammatory agents that keep your body free of aches and pains.
Uses and Dosage
Celebrex comes as an oral capsule that you should swallow whole. Each capsule Celebrex contains the active ingredient celecoxib to help you control your discomfort with fewer side effects than other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). You can take it with or without food. You must take Celebrex as your doctor prescribes. You should take Celebrex twice per day in the morning and evening. Try to separate your doses of Celebrex by 12 hours.
The Celebrex dosage your doctor prescribes will depend on several factors. These include:
- The type and severity of the condition you are taking Celebrex for
- Your age and body weight
- Other medications you take
For oral dosage form (capsules):
- For acute pain or pain during menstruation:
- Adults—at first, 400 milligrams (mg). A second dose of 200 mg can be taken if needed on the first day. Then, 200 mg 2 times a day as needed.
- Children—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For ankylosing spondylitis or osteoarthritis:
- Adults—200 milligrams (mg) once a day or 100 mg 2 times a day. Your doctor may increase your dose if needed.
- Children—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For rheumatoid arthritis or juvenile rheumatoid arthritis:
- Adults—100 to 200 milligrams (mg) 2 times a day.
- Children 2 years of age and older and weighing more than 25 kilograms (kg)—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. The dose is usually 100 milligrams (mg) 2 times a day.
- Children 2 years of age and older and weighing less than 25 kilograms (kg)—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. The dose is usually 50 milligrams (mg) 2 times a day.
- Children younger than 2 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
By following a regular Celebrex schedule, you will be able to experience maximum relief while minimizing any side effects.
Some of serious side effects, including:
- Severe headache
- Unusual sweating and weakness on one side of the body
- Sudden vision changes and trouble speaking
- Pain/swelling/warmth in the groin/calf
- Signs of kidney problems (such as change in the amount of urine)
- Symptoms of heart failure (such as swelling ankles/feet, unusual tiredness, unusual/sudden weight gain)
- This drug may rarely cause serious (possibly fatal) liver disease
- Liver damage, including: dark urine
- Persistent nausea/vomiting/loss of appetite
- Severe stomach/abdominal pain
- Yellowing eyes/skin
- Stomach upset or gas may occur
- It may raise your blood pressure
Rare allergic reaction, including:
- Fever and rash
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Itching/ Swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat),
- Severe dizziness, trouble breathing
Form and strength
Celebrex is available with its Affordable Generic Alternatives in the form of Capsule:
- 100 mg
- 200 mg
- 100 cm
- 200 cm
- Celecoxib may rarely increase the risk of a heart attack or stroke. This effect can happen at any time while taking this drug but is more likely if you take it for a long time. The risk may be greater in older adults or if you have heart disease or increased risk for heart disease (for example, due to smoking, family history of heart disease, or conditions such as high blood pressure or diabetes).
- Avoid taking Celebrex with an empty stomach because this may cause stomach upset. Swallow the capsule and drink a full glass of water. After taking it, do not lie down for less than 10 minutes.
- Do not take this drug right before or after heart bypass surgery (CABG).
- Celebrex may raise your blood pressure. Check your blood pressure regularly and tell your doctor if the results are high.
- Problems are more likely to occur if you are dehydrated, have heart failure or kidney disease. Drink plenty of fluids as directed by your doctor to prevent dehydration and tell your doctor right away if you have a change in the amount of urine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What do I need to know before taking Celebrex?
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: asthma (including a history of worsening breathing after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs), liver disease, stomach/intestine/esophagus problems (such as bleeding, ulcers, recurring heartburn), and heart disease.
What should I avoid while taking celecoxib?
Celecoxib can interact with several medications including warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven), digoxin (Lanoxin), and certain blood pressure medications.
Is it better to take Celebrex in the morning or at night?
Celebrex can be taken in the morning or at night, with or without food. Food may help improve the absorption of Celebrex and prevent an upset stomach.
Can you take Celebrex long term?
Avoid taking Celebrex over the long term. The optimal treatment is to take the lowest possible dose for the shortest time possible. If Celebrex is being prescribed for a chronic condition, talk to the healthcare provider about alternatives to long-term NSAID treatment.
It's important to purchase Celebrex from verified Canadian pharmacy.