Table of contents:
Biaxin, also known as Clarithromycin, is an antibiotic medication commonly used to treat various bacterial infections. Biaxin is a macrolide antibiotic and can be used to treat bacterial infections including pneumonia, bronchitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, and skin infections. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria responsible for causing the infections.
Biaxin can also be used to prevent some bacterial infections. Macrolide antibiotic works by inhibiting the growth of bacteria and is effective only against bacterial infections. It has been proven to be effective in treating these conditions and is well tolerated by most patients.
Clarithromycin is often used with other medications to treat stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori). This combination of medications typically includes an acid-suppressing medication (such as lansoprazole or omeprazole) and an antibiotic (such as amoxicillin or metronidazole). This treatment is effective in eliminating the H. pylori infection and can help to heal the stomach ulcer.
Uses and Dosage
Clarithromycin comes in the form of tablets to be taken by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor, usually every 12 hours. If stomach upset occurs, you may take it with food or milk. Swallow the tablet whole and not break, split, crush, or chew the tablet, as this can release the drug all at once and may cause side effects.
Take Biaxin regularly on a dosing schedule with even intervals to get the best possible results. The dose and duration of treatment will vary depending on the patient's medical condition, response to treatment, and for children, and their weight. Complete the full treatment course to avoid any recurrence of the infection.
The recommended dosages of BIAXIN for the treatment of mild to moderate infections in adults are 250 to 500 milligrams (mg) two times a day. For more severe infections, the doses may be increased to 500 mg two times a day. Follow the dosage instructions provided by your doctor, as taking too much of this medication can cause serious side effects.
Common Side Effects of Clarithromycin:
- Teeth discoloration
- Unusual/unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Clarithromycin
- Dark urine
- Hearing loss
- Irregular heartbeat
- Mental or mood changes
- Muscle weakness
- Oral thrush
- Persistent vomiting
- Severe abdominal pain
- Severe dizziness
- Symptoms of C. difficile (persistent diarrhea, stomach pain, blood, or mucus in the stool)
- Trouble speaking
- Yellowish eyes or skin
Form and Strength
Biaxin and its generic alternative Clarithromycin are available in the following forms and strengths:
- 250 mg
- 500 mg
- 250 mg
- 500 mg
- Do use effective birth control while taking Clarithromycin, as it can potentially harm an unborn baby. If you become pregnant while taking this medicine, tell your doctor as soon as possible, so that your doctor can monitor the health of your baby.
- You should speak to your doctor about any other medications you are taking, as some medications can interact with Clarithromycin and present additional risks to an unborn baby.
- Clarithromycin is not approved for use by anyone younger than 6 months old. Consult with a doctor before taking this medication for anyone under 6 months.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had jaundice or other liver problems while taking clarithromycin. If you have had any of these issues in the past, your doctor may advise you not to take clarithromycin.
- Clarithromycin may make you feel dizzy, confused, or disoriented. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Biaxin antibiotic used for?
Clarithromycin is an antibiotic that is used to treat many different types of bacterial infections affecting the skin and respiratory system. Clarithromycin is also used together with other medicines to treat stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori.
How quickly does Biaxin work?
In most cases, it should only take a few days for Biaxin (clarithromycin) to reduce the symptoms of your infection and make you feel better. For some infections, it may take longer for signs and symptoms to go away.
Can you take Biaxin on an empty stomach?
When taking this medication, it is best to take it as prescribed by your doctor, usually every 12 hours. If you experience stomach upset, you can take it with food or milk to reduce this discomfort.
How long does clarithromycin stay in your system?
Clarithromycin stays in the body for a period of about 5 to 12 hours.
It's important to purchase Biaxin from verified Canadian pharmacy.